Thursday 15 September 2022

September CAS Mix Up Reminder

It is the 15th of September so time for a new challenge at CAS Mix Up. I do hope you will be able to join us. This month we are using stencils and I am honoured to be your host. I want to see you use gesso with your stencils. 

I chose to use gesso really because I wanted to learn to use it more myself and so I have learnt that you can get some really stunning effects. I have also learnt that if you want to use it with stencils it is best to buy the thick or heavy gesso, as it is easier to manage and doesn't leak under the stencil so easily.  If you pop over to the challenge blog you will find a number of links to different videos to help inspire you.



This time I have used gesso as a resist to create a different look. Technically my stencil is a mask so the gessoed areas are in between the numbers. I used glossy paper and dabbed gesso through the mask with a sponge. Once it was dry I sponged distress oxide ink over the piece. It is darker where the gesso is. I quite like this effect.


I cut the panel with Spellbinders hemstitched circles and mounted it on a piece of metallic purple card. I die cut the little flower spray and coloured the pieces with alcohol markers.  A simple sentiment finishes it off.


The panel is mounted onto a cream cardbase although it looks more green than cream in the photo above. I used enamel accents for the flower centre.

I have a second card for you today that came about from my playing with stencils and gesso:


This time I took some black cardstock and used gesso through the stencil. This is a turnabout stencil so I left it to dry before repositioning the stencil to create the other half of the heart.


Once it was dry I put my stencil back and sponged ink through the stencil over the gesso. This way the colours are not affected by the black cardstock, the gesso acts as a brilliant primer.


you can see on the close up that I didn't manage to line up the stencil perfectly, which annoyed me of course! I have decided to share it anyway as it is a good example of how using gesso on a dark background will help your colours pop.

I am sure most of you have got a pot of gesso somewhere in your stash so why not get it out, find your favourite stencil and have a play with us this month. I guarantee you will be pleased that you did.


You have until 24th to join us and don't forget to visit the blog to get more inspiration and some links to technique videos to help. As I am hosting this one I shall be visiting every entry and am looking forward to getting some new ideas for using my gesso.

Things still feel rather strange here following the death of our precious Queen. Everything is very subdued as we all get used to it. There is so much change these days that it feels quite hard to keep up. I hope that moving into a new era with a new King might mean that things settle down a bit. Time will tell I suppose.

I am looking forward to seeing you in the gallery.

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

22 comments:

nancy littrell said...

TFS your beautiful Gesso technique cards and your detailed descriptions, Hilary. I really have had fun with this challenge and recommend that our followers play along:-) Both your cards are so creative and enhanced by the Gesso stenciling. TFS and Hosting, my friend. I am so sorry about the loss of Queen Elizabeth. She was loved and respected by all her countryman and World Wide. She truly was Born to Serve! Love and Hugs...Nancy

crafty-stamper said...

Both beautiful cards,love the sound of the technique and brilliant result on the first card
Carol x

Bonnie said...

Two beautiful gessoed cards, Hilary! Love the soft colors on the first and the black highlights on the second! A fantastic challenge, my friend!

GerJanne said...

Hi Hilary,
Your Queen was a very precious and exceptional person. I can imagine that your country is morning and I hope the new King will be a good King.
We will see.....
Your cards are beautiful. I like the first one the most! Wow, I 'm impressed. I hope to join you, but my current weeks are very full....

Christine Alexander said...

wonderful effect with the gesso resist two amazing cards ♥

brenda said...

Two very elegant cards Hilary. They are indeed strange days.

B x

Linda said...

Beautiful cards Hilary, two very different effects from the gesso resist xx

KraftyKoolKat said...

Two really gorgeous creations Hilary.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Both cards are so lovely, I really must get my stencils out and use them more often.
Lorraine

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Such a sad loss of your Queen, Hilary! But you've stayed busy with cardmaking and I love your two offerings today! So gorgeous with the gesso! I still have my jar out so may manage to get another entry in...Thanks for the inspiration!!

Julia Aston said...

Two lovely designs using gesso with stencils Hilary! The first is so softly colored and so pretty die cut with the circle and the lovely bloom and stems on the edge, and the black background really makes the stenciled hearts pop! Many of us in the US have been glued to our TV's watching the BBC and the beautiful happenings of the process of mourning the death of the Queen. Such gorgeous pageantry. Although she was not our Queen here - it is the only one I have known and it will be interesting to see how things will be with the new King Charles. My sympathy to you all in England! xx

I Card Everyone said...

Two more reasons to keep that gesso out for a bit longer, Hilary! Thanks for sharing more ideas! They are both wonderful!
=]

Loll said...

Two wonderful cards using gesso, Hilary! It's been fun experimenting and I've learned a lot! Thanks again for hosting this fabulous challenge. Love, Loll

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I love gesso, but used it really rarely. Thanks for sharing the techniques and tricks you used on your fabulous CAS cards. The first one is very elegant, great choice of colours that make it very delicate and feminine. Love the flower spray and the hemstitch on the circle! The second one looks so striking with the black and the stencilled vertical stripe on the back. I think that the imperfection on the black hearts makes the card even more interesting.
Hugs

Cat Craig said...

Hilary, you are showing such wonderful cards with gesso. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to wait out the drying times.

Darnell said...

Wow, Hilary, two unique and excellent inspirational design examples of using Gesso with stencils! Well done! It really is quite a versatile product, isn't it? Thank you for choosing it as I enjoyed getting to use it. Hugs, Darnell

Leslie Miller said...

I'm going to have to watch some of those videos because I'm more inspired everyday. My friend, Nancy, gave me some gesso to try, but I haven't had time yet. I know it will be a learning process. Your cards are as unique and artistic as I've come to expect from you. Always something a little beyond the ordinary and very pretty!

Greta said...

Interesting look using the Gesso & lovely cards!

aussie aNNie said...

Absolutely stunning! The colours and that image are gorgeous, ♥

Linby said...

Two very inventive cards. I just need to find my gesso!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Wow! Two fantastic and unique cards! Thanks for hosting such a fun challenge:)

Dotty Jo said...

Such lovely cards, Hilary. I've not tried this technique myself, but that may just have to change, Jo x