Saturday 20 July 2019

Ghostly Butterflies

Hello,

Today I have a card for the July CAS Stencil Challenge which has a theme of alcohol inks/alcohol lift. I love alcohol inks and haven't used them in a while so I spent a happy session with them the other day and produced a few cards. I have to say that I found lifting the alcohol ink off using a stencil quite a challenge as others have pointed out if the tool you are using to lift the ink is too wet it just leaks all round the stencil and messes up the definition. after a bit of trial and error I found it was best to use  a simple stencil, as fine detail just gets lost, and a cotton bud soaked and then squeezed out in the lift medium which was surgical spirit for me.

Here is my card:


The colours were dripped quite generously on yupo paper and allowed to blend a little, once it was dry I laid over the stencil (from Funky Fossil) and set about lifting the ink.


I really had to put aside the part of me that wants clean crisp lines and accept the imperfections with this technique. Once I had successfully done that the card has grown on me! I attached the yupo panel to the base card and propped the frame up on foam tape trapping the sentiment die under it.

Here is a close up:





Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it.
Hilary
xx

8 comments:

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous alcohol ink background, Hilary for your beautiful color lifted butterflies. Loved your color choices for your background and white die cut framing. TFS and joining us at CAS Stencil. Hugs..Nancy

Cat Craig said...

Oh my what a fabulous trio of colors you've used Hilary. And your butterflies look so ethereal with the lift technique. You rocked this one.

Cathy said...

Wonderful use of the lift technique Hilary, I love the wispy effect it created on the butterflies. Gorgeous card, thankyou for playing along at CAS Stencil, Cathy x

Robyn Oliver said...

Well Hilary I think you did a wonderful effort with your AI - great colour combination and you 'smudgy' butterflies and really cool - love the finish off with stitched frame and simple die cut sentiment... thanks for sharing with CAS Stencil, Robyyn

Viv said...

A lovely card Hilary on a technique that appears to be easy but actually isn't (as the pile in my bin will evidence!). You have done so well with this card - I really like the scenic use of AI's for your background and your colour lifted butterflies are so pretty. A great card and thanks for coming over to CAS Stencil and sharing!

Loll said...

So pretty Hilary! I love that you've create a scene with your beautiful sunset and grassy hill. Your butterfly lift is awesome! Yes, it's not a perfect and crisp image, but that's what the lift is supposed to be. A very etheral look! Great work! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Stencil!

Mac Mable said...

What a great job with the lift technique Hilary and I know exactly what you mean about the technique. Your card is artsy, unique and amazing....well done you x.

Julia Aston said...

Your swath of butterflies look beautiful fluttering up from your brightly colored AI background Hillary! Love this! thanks for sharing with us at CAS Stencil this month! xx