Monday 2 August 2021

Christmas Kickstarter #53

Today is a very special day for me as I get to put on my Elf hat and join Jo over at Christmas Kickstarter for Challenge 53. What a surprise it was when Jo got in touch to invite me to join her as guest elf, I feel very honoured as I don't generally make many Christmas cards out of season. Although having said that I did post one recently! I am pleased to be getting into them a bit more these days as I used to find them a real chore, but Jo is helping me change that attitude. Thanks Jo.


It is a photo challenge this month and I have decided to show you my card before the inspiration photo.


Here is the inspiration photo, I have picked out the following elements: bauble wreath, red and white stripes and the merry Christmas. There is actually loads of inspiration to be had from this photo, the more you look the more you see.

       

I quickly decided that I wanted my focus to be the bauble wreath so I set about punching out loads of little circles from 3 different sized punches. I coloured the circles with alcohol markers and then coated them in glossy accents. I also cut a few from silver and gold card. Once they were all dry I laid out the largest circles onto a circle frame that I die cut for the base. I then arranged all the circles onto the base with foam squares and built up the wreath. I was quite pleased with the result but found that the colours weren't as vibrant once I had put on the glossy accents, but that was offset by the shine. The merry Christmas was die cut from the same coated red card as the base. A little red and gold ribbon finished off the wreath.

        

In order to give the background a bit more interest and to reflect the stripes I dry embossed the white panel with a scoring board after die cutting it to size. You can see the shine on the following picture

       

I do hope that the inspiration picture succeeds in inspiring you and look forward to seeing you in the gallery and visiting your blog. You have until the end of August to join us.

Supplies:
Cardstock: White stamping card; adorable scorable coated card
Ink: Alcohol marker pens
Dies: Stitched rectangle A6 die from Create a Smile

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

22 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your wreath, Hilary - so bright and fun!! I didn't even see a wreath at first, there are so many amazing details in the inspiration photo. Congrats on being Jo's elf this month - fabulous card!!

Dotty Jo said...

So happy to have you as my elf, Hilary! I really like your card so much and yes, we did pick up on so many of the same things from the picture inspiration. Jo x

GerJanne said...

I saw your card at the challengeblog. Lovely detail you've chosen. And Jo did the same. SO funny. There is so much to pick from the inspiratione photo and both of you took the wreath...But it is lovely and colorful.

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary, this is so brilliant! Designing from a photo is my favorite way to make cards - this one is packed full of ideas!
I spy your bauble wreath! What a smart choice to use a punch for those circles - I'd still be digging to find the right dies for it! I think your colors are very bright, and joyful with their slick of gloss!
Congrats on being Guest Elf! It's such an honor!
=]

Cat Craig said...

Congrats on being guest Elf. Your bauble wreath is FANTASTIC. I love all the layers and the added bling.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Big congrats for your GD, Hilary! Well deserved! Love the bauble wreath with the glossy accents, it has a great dimensions, and looks just perfect with the scored background, it adds a classy feel!!

crafty-stamper said...

Congrats on being Guest Elf.Great card love all the layers on your bauble wreath
Carol x

Bunny said...

Great Christmas card. Love the glossy accents you added and the dry embossing. Very pretty. [Bunny]

Bonnie said...

Congratulations on your Guest Spot, Hilary! I love your bauble wreath with all the different colors and sizes of baubles!

Mac Mable said...

Many congratulations with guesting Hilary and what a fabulous card you've made. Wonderful interpretation of the inspiration photo too x. That wreath is glorious and what a stunner of a card x.

Ros Crawford said...

Congrats on your GD spot! I just love that wreath... Genius!

Leslie Miller said...

Wowie, you made quite the bauble wreath! I would hang this on my wall -- it's very festive and pretty! Good luck with your Christmas cards!

Rajani Rehana said...

Congratulations ��

aussie aNNie said...

This is the neatest Christmas wreath and card I have seen...xx

coldwaters2 said...

Congratulations Hilary on your GDT and what a smashing festive card you have created I love how you have used elements of the main picture to make your card it looks so Christmassy
hugs
lorraine x

Loll said...

Congrats on being Guest Designer at Christmas Kickstart, Hilary! You did amazing work with using the inspiration photo. So many elements on your card! I love that bauble wreath you created! xx

J.P. Alexander said...

Bellas decoraciones navideñas. Te mando un beso
Enamorada de las letras

Alexander Strauffon said...

It's cool and everything looks great, buy I'd have to ask: isn't it a bit too early to start going about Xmas yet?

Darnell said...

Congratulations on guest designing for Jo, Hilary! I am totally gobsmacked by your amazing and festive design! I love, love, love your wreath made of circles! The colors and the way you scored the background are perfection! Pinning! Hugs, Darnell

Ashwini Rao said...

What an incredible card, Hilary, you've justified being the guest designer! That wreath looks absolutly fantastic!! I love the colors and the shine of the glossy accents on it - and the best part is that it is mass producable! And the effects could change with colors and the embossing behind. I totally love it!!

Greta said...

Brilliant use the photo, Hilary! That's a lot of punching, but worth it! The striped background is perfect!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Congrats on being Guest Elf! Your ornament wreath is so gorgeous!