Monday 2 January 2023

December Card Chain Challenge Reveal

Today is 2nd of the month so time for the Card Chain Challenge big reveal. This month 26 card makers took part and I sent my card to Brenda in UK. 


This month our options were contained within a tic tac toe grid.


I chose the diagonal line from the top left, green, bird, friendship, splats and silver.


I started by using my Catherine Pooler refills to lay down a pale green wash on some watercolour paper. Then I took my stencil and used the same ink (I think, can't remember what colour it was either!) to create this lovely flowery backdrop. Then I stamped the branch and leaves onto the panel. The layered bird stamp was stamped onto white card and cut out with my scan n cut. I cut it 3 times and stacked it for some dimension. Thanks to Faith at daffodil cards for encouraging me to use my scan and cut for cutting out images, it worked really well so I hope I will use the technique more often. I am very bad at getting out my cutting machine and then regret that I don't use it enough!


Once I knew the position of the bird I stamped the legs directly onto the panel. The stencilled circle was roughly masked while I splattered the edges with a darker green. For some reason the splatters at the top of the card are larger than those at the bottom. I cannot explain that! The panel was matted on some silver mirror card and then mounted on a green cardbase.  i finished it off with a few silver and green sequins. I was quite pleased with the result, hope you like it too.

I received my card from Gundi in Germany and it was extra special as she enclosed so many extra little goodies too. Thanks so very much Gundi, your card is a real beauty and you are so generous too.

I must apologise to Gundi as my original post said I hadn't received my December card. I somehow got myself in a muddle. I think it was because I have received so many Christmas cards too. Mind you, it doesn't take much these days to muddle me up!



My November card from Dee in Kenya arrived on 10th December, perfect timing for Christmas.


If you would like to take part in the next card chain challenge, you have until 6th to sign up here.

Supplies:
Cardstock: watercolour paper; green heavy weight card base; silver mirror card
Ink: Catherine Pooler (I didn't make a note of the colours)
Stamps: Hero Arts layered bird; sentiment is by Concord & (th
Dies: stitched rectangle
Stencils: Funky Fossil

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

27 comments:

Mia said...

What a beautiful card you made, Hilary! I really love it! And thank you for sharing the steps. They are always an inspiration. For December you are waiting a card from Gundi in Germany, sweetie, not from me. But you are waiting from me the pink pouch with the bow -a little prize for my birthday candy. Kisses, my dear friend, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

papierelle said...

You could use your favorite color, how nice and the bird is a great eye-catcher!!! But I'm a bit confused, you got a card from me for December (the one with the fox)!!!!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card Hilary and love the stencilled background -both cute cards you received and your happy mail-as you can see I am up today but still coughing!
Carol x

Marianne said...

Your card is so pretty, Hilary. I love how the colours of the bird makes the bird pop against the stencilling.
Gundi and Dee did a great job as well, and you are a lucky girl being spoiled like that by Gundi. Enjoy your new toys. ;-)
Happy New Year!
Marianne x

Ellibelle said...

Such a beautiful card, I am sure Brenda was so happy to receive it! Love the floral backdrop and gorgeous bird! The colors are fabulous too!
And what a fun package you received from Gundi too along with her pretty card. Dee also sent a beauty and just in time for the holiday season!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

What a beauty, Hilary, and thanks for explaining the steps! Great use of that row of the board - love it!!

Pia S said...

Love your card and actually thought the stamped and stencilled bits were die cuts! Wonderful layered effect
Wishing you Happy New Year!

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is gorgeous Hilary. It looks beautiful and very intricate.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Julia Aston said...

What beautiful techniques used on your card Hilary! love that pretty stenciling with the leafy branch stamped over it - your scan and cut bird is so pretty with the purple, pink and black colors used! Happy New Year!

GerJanne said...

Hi Hilary,
This is a very delicate card. Love the bird in purple, black and pink. The background is lovely!

Angelnorth said...

Beautiful card Hilary, I have that HA layered bird too and can’t believe how much time I spend decided what inks to use when I stamp it! Love the combination you chose for it and the green floral circle looks great. What a lovely package from Gundi too, lucky you! Happy new year!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow! How striking is your card! Absolutely love it! Also you are incredible! :) Amazing choice of colours and the stencilled circle with the flowers has a wonderful shade that makes it looking as a precious diecut. Fabulous design, stamps and details! Thanks for sharing the process, it's so inspiring! Beautiful cards and generous new toys from your pals!

Arlene said...

How beautiful!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, Hilary, this is a beautiful card! There's that wonderful green again, this time with the botanical stenciling making such a lovely background for the bird. I'm a nut for birds and all things of nature. Gundi's card is so darn cute and she sent you a fun package with it! Dee's card arrived in plenty of time for Christmas and it's a beauty, too! How wonderful this card chain is. I send a lot of cards for "just because" and I think that's one of the best reasons.

Christine Alexander said...

ooooh love all the layering with the stenciling, splattering and die cutting ♥

Ashwini Rao said...

I must say, I really loved your card, but then got lost in the cards you were sent and then when it came to commenting, I had forgotten what you'd made!! :P
But, thank goodness for scrolling! :D :D Really loved your card. I love how you use your greens, and make it all stand out with that lovely birdie. I wasn't aware that one could use the Scan n Cut like that (bit that I own one) - really opens up some options.
You've really hit the jackpot of cards! They are really fabulous cards, and oh boy, is Gundi generous! So many goodies!! Lucky lady, you! :)

brenda said...

I can confirm this is such a pretty card and a colour palette that works so well with the design, thank you Hilary.

B x

Viv said...

Gorgeous card Hilary. The colours together are stunning. Thanks for encouraging me to take part in the CCC - loving receiving little makes from everywhere in the World! x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Hilary, I love the colours you used, the green is gorgeous, love the stencilling. I'm so happy you found a purpose for your machine, the bird pops off the page. On to greater things with your machine now hahaha.
Happy New Year
Faith x

I Card Everyone said...

Anytime there is a bird included on a card I'm happy - such a beauty he is! You've created a gorgeous place for him to perch, Hilary!
=]

kiwimeskreations said...

What a beautiful cards - both the one you made - there is that green again :) - and also the two you received!
Blessings
Maxine

Bonnie said...

A beautiful bird, Hilary and the stamped and watercolored background is perfect for him to perch on!

R's Rue said...

So lovely.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Hilary. LOVE the stenciling and those beautiful shades of green. The bird is so pretty ... love those vibrant colours. xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Happy New Year Hilary!
A lovely stencilled background for your sweet bird image, a beautiful card.
Lorraine

Greta said...

The card you made is really special & love the 2 you received!

Linby said...

Love this colour combo and the tone on tone stencilling - that I now have to try!