Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Dusty Blue and Brown

Today I am sharing a card that I have made for a specific challenge. That is such an unusual event that I thought I should share it even though I am not that happy with the finished product. Actually 2 products as it one of those designs that leaves you with 2 cards.

Colour Hues are asking for dusky blue and brown, an unusual combination that I decided I would like to try. I used a cover die by Concord & 9th called empire inlay card front die and cut it from 2 colours. I used Catherine Pooler ink in stone blue and over coffee to colour my paper before cutting. I love doing inlayed die cutting but quickly realised that it was going to be quite a challenge to do it all one handed.


The pieces in the middle diamonds didn't fall out easily so I decided to leave them in and put double sided tape on the back and inlayed sections with the other colour. I had recently purchased another Concord & 9th stamp and die set called bouquet turnabout stamp set, which included the hexagon stamp, die and happy birthday. I coloured another piece of white card with both inks and stamped, heat embossed and cut the sentiment. I thought theses hexagons fitted well in the centre.


The stamping was done in the opposite colour but it turned out looking black on both colours. I finished them off with a few metallic looking gems.

There are lots of small errors on these cards, mainly because I am working with only one completely functioning hand, but I hope they are not too noticeable and I am pleased that I can still craft a bit, as long as I am careful.

Here is the other colour way:





As everything on these cards is NBUS, I am also sharing it at NBUS #90


Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

19 comments:

Maria said...

Pretty color combo for your wonderful card! Love the inlay and the interesting design! Great choice with the hexagon for the center!

Ashwini said...

Almost looks like an optical illusion! I love the geometric effect! Spectacular cards, Hilary!!

Bonnie said...

Your ink blending is amazing, Hilary! I can't get that smooth a look with two working hands! I really love the inlays and how you used these colors! Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I really like these cards Hilary, made with patience and with one hand, very clever. x

Nancy said...

Such a big undertaking with one working hand, Hilary! I am so impressed! I too love the look on inlays and these were both certainly worth your effort. Thanks for taking the time for these cards and for joining us at Color Hues. Hope you are healing well. Take care!

Julia Aston said...

What a great cover die, Hilary - and how different they look to the eye using opposite colors - well done getting these done 'single handedly'! Julia xx

Darnell said...

What a great way to use the CH colors, Hilary! I love this inlaid design and how you ended up with two wonderfully geometric cards, excellent for any age or gender! I know how time-consuming these inlaid designs can be and I can't imagine the effort it took with only one completely functioning hand!

I'm so sorry to have missed the news about your wrist. I scrolled back to find out what happened and I hate that you had a bad fall. One minute you're up and the next your down. It's so frustrating, especially as you said, when you walk without issues every day.

You are an inspiration to get back to crafting as soon as possible! Thank you for that and for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! I hope your healing continues without any issues. Hugs my friend, Darnell

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and love both the colourways, you did brilliant with one hand-talk about making it complicated for yourself-well done and I cannot see any errors whatsoever!
Carol x

Leslie Miller said...

I can just imagine how challenging this must have been! Even with two functioning hands the small parts are easy to fumble. However, you ended up with two rather amazing cards with this interesting cover plate. I think it was mean to be that those center parts stayed put because it seems to bring focus to the hexagon sentiment which is perfect, by the way. I love a puzzle, and this die appears to give many options.

Liz said...

Two lovely cards, Hilary. I wouldn’t think of putting these two colours together, but they really work on your cards.
Liz xx

kiwimeskreations said...

These are stunning Hilary - love how you have used the colours. Leaving the diamonds in the centres in solid colours was an inspired choice - albeit one of necessity.
Blessings
Maxine

Julie B said...

Who doen't love a twofer! A fab masculine take on the challenge colours at Color Hues. :)

Angelnorth said...

Great colour combo and these look super-stylish Hilary. I like the effect of leaving those central bits one colour with the interest provided by the lines, it may have been the result of a limitation but it’s worked out brilliantly! Glad you’re managing a bit of craft time, hope your wrist is making steady progress on healing.

Loll said...

Great work on both these cards Hilary. The blended colours are beautiful. You've picked a very time-intensive design and I'm in awe that you were able to make these with just the one hand. Both are lovely and so different --- it's very interesting! :) xx

Jeanne H said...

I think both your cards are just wonderful! CASEing coming up. Feel better soon.

Linby said...

They look wonderful in both colourways and look fine to me.

Greta said...

I love the look of your inlay cards, Hilary! And I think the centers being solid made them better. The hexagon for the sentiment is perfect! In this case, I think both versions are equally lovely! So glad you can still do some cardmaking while your wrist heals.

brenda said...

Catching up, looks like the reading list issue might be sorted as getting a few filter through. As always lovely makes.

B x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Love your take on the colors with this inlay, Hilary!!