Tuesday 7 March 2023

A little bit of stitching

Today I have a couple of stitched cards to share with you. I am always commenting that I love to see real stitching on cards, but very rarely do it myself. Today I am changing that by sharing these two stitched cards. This die was a Christmas present so I am pleased to say that I got on and used it pretty quickly.


This first card was made for my younger daughters birthday in January. I really liked the idea of showcasing the lovely silky thread on black and am pleased with how it turned out. I followed Jennifer McGuires advice and stitched with 4 strands of thread. It worked well but it was really quite challenging to keep it controlled, especially the silver metallic thread you can see on the small flowers round the edge. That stuff has a mind of its own. I made a stencil with some scrap card to decorate the insert.


Mounting the panel was also a bit of a challenge because the back of the panel is quite lumpy from all the thread and the panel edges are quite thin. Anyway, I managed to prop it up on some thin black foam strips, which worked pretty well in the end. It is backed onto some dark silvery glitter paper. The shine was lovely in real life.


I finished it off with a simple happy birthday sentiment heat embossed in silver. I much prefer the look using 4 strands, but it uses such a lot of thread. I had intended to use the turquoise thread on the outside 'leaves' as well, but I didn't have enough so had to used the gold. I think it worked well, so I was pleased about that in the end.


My second card, that I made first, only uses 2 strands of thread and I think you can see the difference quite clearly. I still like it though. This time I coloured my background with Catherine Pooler ink in wintergreen, such a lovely colour. I really like how her inks are good for colouring large areas, but I have learnt that you really do need the re-inkers as well because the foam pads can lose their juiciness quite quickly.



Anyway, I hope you like my stitched cards. I enjoyed making them.

I am sharing this at:
Card 1
The flower challenge #78 - Die cuts or Stencils. Die cut on the card front and stencil made from same die for the insert. I think the patterns are stylised flowers, hope you do too.
Inkspirational Challeng #284 - Stitching real or faux
Just us girls week 669 - colour week



Card 2
NBUS#48 - card 2 was the first time I used this die
A Place to Start March - Anything Goes

Supplies:
Dies: Spellbinders stitched petal frame
Floss: Card 1 Madeira silk embroidery floss, DMC silver metallic thread
Card 2 DMC embroidery floss

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

31 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely beautiful cards love the die and fabulous stitching
Carol x

Chana Malkah said...

Hilary, your string art cards are absolutely stunning! Thanks so much for sharing them with us at A Place to Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Greta said...

What gorgeous stitched cards, Hilary! I really love the look with the gold leaves, so think that unplanned element was a win! Your daughter received a wonderful keepsake worthy of framing! The look with 2 strands is different, but I like it, too. I tend to use 3 strands, but maybe I'll try using 4 strands on something not too big. I have quite a few stitching dies that are being neglected, so thanks for the inspiration!

Ina G said...

Oh Hilary you have blown me away with this beautiful stitched card. Such detail and simply stunning for our Colour Week at Just Us Girls. I haven't done a stitched card in quite some time and so happy to see one again. I really love the thickness of the thread and how yours has turned out so perfect. I bet the background looks stunning irl. Your second card is beautiful also. Thank you soooooooo much for sharing these pieces of art with us at JUGS.

Robyn Oliver said...

Gorgeous cards Hilary, that stitch work is so effective and wonderfully easier with the die to cut the pattern, Robyn

brenda said...

These are both beautiful Hilary and so nice to see something different, like you I always admire stitching on cards. It's difficult to choose a favourite but I think the contrasts of colour against the black on the first might do it for me.

B x

Liz said...

Two fabulous cards, Hilary. I love to add stitching on cards. xx

kiwimeskreations said...

What stunning cards Hilary - and they look so different. I have used three strands on a stitched card, and felt it gave good coverage. Yes, those metallic threads are difficult, especially in fine stitching on fabric!!
I was pleased to hear your comment about the Catherine Pooler pads running dry quite quickly - not an attribute I like, after using Memento Inks Pads that seem to last 'forever', and the fabric surface on them wears the best of all my pads.
Blessings
Maxine

Viv said...

Picking jaw up from the floor Hilary!
Awesome cards - both beautiful and the black one is simply stunning. x

ionabunny said...

Love the black gold and turquoise. Beautiful cards. Hugz

Viv said...

Two beautiful cards here, so much work in your stitching too, well done! Thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge';) Viv DT xx

KraftyKoolKat said...

Such awesome creations Hilary, they are both really lovely but the four strand version is more striking. I am sure your daughter adored it, it is a work of art.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

GerJanne said...

Yes! Good for you! Real stitching can be so beautiful. And you show us that's true! I love the patterns on the card and the colours are lovely combinations.

Cat Craig said...

You have such patience, I'd never have it. the cards are beautiful, Hilary.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

OMG!!! Your stitched cards looks AMAZING!!! Such fabulous die you received and your stitching is really very good, how accurate! Absolutely LOVE especially the first card, it has a wonderful palette and the colours pop so well from that glittery background!I bet that it is also more awesome IRL!! Your daughter surely will treasure it!
The second one with only two strands of thread looks fabulous too, and it's more delicate. Love the wintergreen background and those tiny shining flowers!
Hugs

Julia Aston said...

Wow and Wow Hilary! What beautiful cards and so much stitching! A labor of love for sure - Kudos to you for using your new stuff and using real stitching for our challenge over at Inkspirational! Thanks for sharing with us! Julia xx

Bonnie said...

Your stitching is amazing, Hilary! I love the colors and sheen on the first card and I remember how hard that metallic thread was to control with cross stitch. I love the second card! It has a lovely airy and more delicate look. Good for you getting this stitching done!

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary, I love both of your stitched cards but think I prefer the two-strands of thread! I know - but Michele, all that grey?? - it is stunning, too!
=]

Ashwini Rao said...

Wow! I mean, wow!! I don't really have the patience for stitching, so this really is a treat for my eyes! I do like both versions, dark and light, thicker and thinner threads.. and the colors too. Really gorgeous cards!

Marlena M. said...

Oh such superb stitching Hilary! These are perfect for our challenge at INkspirational; thank you for joining us~

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Isn't it wonderful how many different looks you can get with these stitching dies? I love the colors you combined, Hilary - so different from the ones I've used with this die. You've inspired me to pull it out again :)

ElizStewart said...

Hilary... Ina is right. Your card is STUNNING. Wowzer. All the work will be appreciated by your daughter. This is a very special birthday card. Great win over at Just Us Girls. I hope you play with us again.

Nancy said...

I had to come by from JUGS and tell you how fabulous this card is and now I see two wonderful cards! Well done! I like them equally as well. Sewing of any kind is not for me, but I certainly love the look. Thanks for playing at Just Us Girls, Congrats on your win.

Robyn Oliver said...

Congrats Hilary on your JUGS win

My Paper Epiphany said...

Wow! Amazing cards! I wish I had the patience and your talent!

Leslie Miller said...

My, oh my! Beautiful and very special cards, Hilary! The first is striking on the dark card, and lots of color with the four threads. You can most definitely see the difference. I was quite into embroidery until it got to where it hurts my fingers and hands too much. I always used 2 threads, but that wasn't on a card. However, I do love the second card as well. It's a different look, but perfectly lovely. You always put so much heart into your creations.

Linby said...

These are both beautiful, but like you I think the 4 strands pops more. Metallic threads are the worst. I did an x-s piece with them and it nearly didn't get finished.

papierelle said...

I've never seen a die like this, but it looks fantastic. I particularly like the first one, because the dark background makes everything look much stronger and it also looks classier.

Christine Alexander said...

wow, amazing stitching, the cards look amazing ♥

baileyrosy.com said...

OMG what beautiful cards especially the first it really is amazing and deserves to be framed. I simply adore the colours and always admire anyone who has the patience and skill to use stitched dies.I bought one a while ago and it's still sitting unused in it's package.

Marie

Dotty Jo said...

Outstanding cards! Jo x