Tuesday 23 May 2023

A Collaboration With Stencils

Today I am joining up with the wonderful Cat Craig from Cat luvs paper to share two cards made with two different stencils from Uniko. If you like CAS cards you will love the stamps designed by Bev at Uniko. She has a unique and wonderful CAS style. Having said that, my cards today aren't very CAS and I actually have four, rather than two,  to share. I can't wait to see what Cat has done with her stencils.

These are the 2 stencils we were tasked to use;
Fun Flowers Spray Mask - OK strictly speaking this one is a mask


My first card uses the natures treasures stencil. I started by inking some glossy paper with different shades of green ink. When it was dry I used the stencil and some transparent glossy texture paste to cover the background with leaves. I had to do this one leaf at a time and let it dry before moving on to the next one. Once it was all dry I blended an olive green ink over the card front with a blending brush. The texture paste resisted the ink to make the leaves stand out. As the background is the star of the show I wanted to keep my focal point relatively simple. I stamped the matching stamp onto glossy paper, waited for it to dry and then blended some other green ink over the white paper to tone it down a bit, as the white was just too stark. I found the flower behind the leaf in my box of bits that I had stamped and fussy cut a long, long time ago. It is a stamp by Lavinia Stamps and I decided it would fit quite nicely on this card, just tucked behind the leave to add a little more interest.

The sentiment was foiled on a piece of scrap gold card and the panel was die cut, mounted onto some mat gold card before mounting onto a cream cardbase. I finished it off with 3 little gems.


My second card started in the same way, but this time I just blended some ink over the mask. The diecut flowers and leaves were also in my box of bits. I was pleased to use these as I had spent some time inlaying them. I finished this card off in the same way as card 1.


Card number 3 had a similar background but it started out much darker and became darker still after I had inked over the mask. I added the bright yellow lotus flower and foiled sentiment. I thought it had the feel of a pond with a waterlily. 


My final card started with one of my gelli plate backgrounds. I simply inked over the mask and added a foiled sentiment and mounted it on black to give a bit of contrast.

I am not really sure how or why I ended up with 3 cards using the fun flowers mask, I just kept experimenting and managed to get them all completed. These sorts of experiments often end in abandonment, but not this time, so that was a result.

As you can tell, I am very much into backgrounds at the moment, but I haven't made much of a dent in the pile of acrylic paint gel prints yet.

Thanks Cat for your wonderful crafty friendship. I am glad we managed to do a second collaboration this year. You can see what we did last year here and here. All I can say is doesn't time fly?

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

23 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Lots of lovely cards here Hilary, you obviously enjoyed working with those stencils. I'm rubbish at CAS card designs, I just don't know when to leave well alone :) and end up putting too much on them.
Lorraine

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous cards,love the stencils and all the shades of green
Carol x

Darnell said...

I love when you and Cat do your collaborations - and yes, time does fly!! Hilary, I was fascinated to read along as you developed your four beautiful designs, layer by layer! Great idea for our bevies of built-up backgrounds!! Hugs, Darnell

Cat Craig said...

Hilary, your cards are stunningly gorgeous. I love the build up of color. Why didn’t I think to build a background with the stencils…I am totally in awe of that first card…and I am not a green fan. But this is so lush and gorgoeus. Your three cards using the blooms stencils are equally fabulous. I just love the arty feel of them. In my mind the arty equates to those layers and a building up of a depth. I think I lean to CAS because I don’t have an artists eye. THank you again so much for the stencils and I loved collaborating with you again. Any time my friend.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

You have a fabulous style, always elegant and never boring, Hilary! These four cards look wonderful, such great use of your beautiful Uniko stencils! The resist technique with the clear paste looks really fabulous and love how the leaves and flower pop from the background, a perfect addition of light with the gold of the mat and the sentiment! Green and gold is a palette that I love so much, but don't use often.
The second one is very sweet with those inlaid flowers and the third one looks so dramatic with the darker background and the yellow water-lily! The last card remember me Africa with those colours and the gelli background, love how the flowers and the black-mounted sentiment pop out!!
Well done with your finished experiments!!

Anke said...

WOW I love the shades of green and your wonderful cards, Hilary.

The first one is my favourite ... so beautiful.

Hugs
Anke

brenda said...

Such depth of colour in all cards Hilary.

B x

Loll said...

Looks like you had a fun time playing with your stencil and mask, Hilary! Always fun to share a play day with a friend and bonus is that you ended up with four amazing cards!! xx

papierelle said...

Today you surprise me again with your cards. The backgrounds look so vivid and all the cards impress me!!

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary you have such patience to wait on that paste to dry! The results are really incredible - love all three, but I keep watching for a little frog in that lily pond! lol
=]

Linby said...

These are all wonderful and it looks like you had fun experimenting - which is the main thing! You've achieved a lovely depth of colour and design on all of them.

kiwimeskreations said...

Absolutely stunning work Hilary - love those gorgeous leaf backgrounds, and how you let them be the star of your cards by not overwhelming them
Blessings
Maxine

Leslie Miller said...

Hilary, my jaw has dropped. I do love color, and these rich greens are pulling me right into their depths. All the steps to create these pieces is fascinating. You have patience in abundance. I looked up the stencils and would never have imagined these results. Both the leaves and the flowers are amazing in your hands. You are a true artist!

Bonnie said...

It looks like you had a great time with the stencils & masks, Hilary! A great idea to experiment while you have them out! Fantastic results and an awesome variety of cards!

Ina G said...

Wow Hilary - you just blew me away when I saw your first card - but wait there is more. Soooooo much depth and beauty to just feast your eyes on time and tiem again. Lots of fun had making them for sure .Love them!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Can't believe I missed this one earlier in the week, Hilary - sorry! Wow - four stenciled beauties! I especially favor card one with the leafy fronds but they're all gorgeous!! Fun to collaborate with Cat; I'll have to check her post out too...

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness where to start with these amazing cards. I am so drawn in to the first card with the leafy background. Super stamp and die to pair with it.

The pink and green pair beautifully together on the second card.

I really love that the flowers are so prominent in the third card.

And that gel print in the last card is amazing. I need to play with my gel plate more. It does not get enough use in my craft room.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful and stunning design, great colour combo, love it. xx

Christine Alexander said...

wow, such beautiful stenciling on all the cards ♥

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Such gorgeous work Hilary, I love how you used the stencils, beautiful colour mixes and ways of using the colours. Love them all.
Faith x
Hope you're better?

morfeas said...

Απο σπόντα βρέθηκα στο blog σου
και είπα να πω μια καλησπέρα!

Mariann Jakobsen said...

Wow, so many awesome cards! Love them all!
Gorgeous job!

Greta said...

Such a great collaboration with Cat! I also have the Nature's Treasures stamp & stencil, so you 2 have inspired me to use it! Love all your cards, Hilary! The look you got on the last one just amazes me & it may be my favorite!