Tuesday 2 January 2024

December Card Chain Challenge Reveal

Happy New Year to everyone. This is my first post for 2024 and I have just looked up how long I have been joining in with the card chain challenge. My first entry was in August 2018 and I have only missed 2 months since then. December 2018 and 2019 and here we are at January 2024. I can't believe it.
As it is 2nd of the month it's time for the Card Chain Challenge December reveal. This month 26 card makers took part and I sent my card to Bonnie in Colorado.


We had a tic tac toe to play with. Just to make it harder there are 5 columns and everything begins with B! I eventually chose the vertical row in the middle - bow, banana, buddy, bugs and bear.


I decided I would use a row with bear in it so I could use my koala bear set that I mentioned in my October CCC post when I used a polar bear. There are several images of the bears in the set and I chose this one because the baby had a bow in her hair, and because there was a matching back view stamp. That enabled the open window at the front.


The hardest thing about making this card was cutting out the circles so that they lined up correctly and ensuring the card wasn't all marked by my very messy cutting plates. I was pleased that it worked OK. First time too! The white paper you can see inside is actually an insert which has been folded. I always put inserts into my cards these days and doing so for this also meant the hole in the card front didn't mess up being able to write a message. I created a stencil to mask the insert and blended distress ink through it. Leaving the stencil in place I stamped some greenery and the little bug stamp, which comes from a Colorado Craft Company set called better together. I think they look like they are photo bombing the picture and was quite pleased with my idea.


The hello friend hot foiled sentiment was already made, so I decided to tie the black elements together by adding a black mat to the front panel. The yellow card base is providing the banana. I am quite happy with this one, I hope Bonnie is too, although it is taking it's time to reach her. I posted it on 5th December, but I suspect that Christmas has caused the delay. The black element actually means I managed 6 Bs on my card.

I was very lucky to receive this gorgeous card from Michaela in Austria


The little elf is balancing his pile of presents brilliantly and I love the embossed background with the plaid paper. The hat and coat have a wonderful sparkle too. The poor photo is due to a lack of light in these short grey winter days. She also enclosed a set of papers, which I used as labels on my Christmas presents. Thanks Michaela.
If you would like to take part in the next card chain challenge, you have until 6th to sign up here

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

26 comments:

Marianne said...

Happy New Year, Hilary!
Gail really forced us to be creative with her 5x5 grid, didn't she?
Love how you made it work. Such a cute card.
Marianne x

Ashwini Rao said...

Oh, the grid looks tough! Your card looks wonderful - I especially like the window, and the bugs photo bombing!! Really fun card. Great start to the year, Hilary! And happy new year to you!! :)

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and design Hilary,love the cute koala bears and your stamping and inking through the aperture-I must admit I gave this one a miss lol-gorgeous card you received from Michaela too.
Carol x

Dotty Jo said...

Just look at your card - it's adorable! Great work with Gail's 5 x 5 killer. Thanks for being a link in our chain, Happy New Year! Jo x

Ellibelle said...

What a beautiful card you made with those cute Koala bears. Love how it turned out and great idea to use banana colored paper for the banana prompt. Hopefully Bonnie will receive it soon, there was word that our post office here in the US is so backed up. I have a return package sent around the same time and it's sitting somewhere at a NY post office. So frustrating as I surely would like my return money back!!
Happy New Year!!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Adorable and so cute card, Hilary!! Love those sweet koala bear and your ingenious aperture! The photo bombing bugs make me smile, brilliant idea! Put a folded insert has been very clever too, your cards are always so professional.
Also your pal's card is adorable.
Hugs

Julia Aston said...

I joined in the challenges in Dec 2020 after seeing one of your posts Hilary! I just love your window card with the sweet Koala's front and back and lovely background for them on the inside! Boy, wasn't this all B's Tic Tac Toe a tricky thing??!! and oh my gosh, I just noticed the bugs hanging from the vine - SO FUN!!! Happy Crafty New Year! Julia xx

I Card Everyone said...

Well done, Hilary! Not all of us would have bugs in our stash - you found the cutest of them all in this CCC set! Your Koalas are darling - even their backsides!
Such a fun way to end a year, and start another!
=]

Leslie Miller said...

I had such fun reading your post, Hilary! First your card gave me a big smile because it's so darn cute. Then, reading how you utilized all the "B's" in the column was very interesting. Yellow for banana. Loved that! Those bugs photo bombing are too cute. What a fun tic tac toe board! You have real stick-to-it-iveness with this challenge. I love Michaela's card, too. Wishing you a happy new year!

Bonnie said...

Cute little bears and I applaud you cutting those circles to line up! I've tried to do that and it didn't work out well for me.

GerJanne said...

All the best for 2024!
Your card is so cute with the little koala bears. I love them. And you did it great with the circles.
You are very loyal to the Card Chain Challenges, I know. For me it was too much pressure, so I decided to quit. But I do like to see al the cards. Your card from Michaela is very beautiful too.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful design and such a fabulous card.. love the whole concept xx

Liz said...

Gorgeous card Hilary, I love the cutout design with the cute koalas. Lovely card from Michaela too. xx

papierelle said...

Your card puts you in a good mood and it's so cute!!! Gundi x
DotMCC
Dream Factory

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Hilary love your little cute bear card it really looks fabulous so does the one you received
hugs
lolo x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Such a sweet koala bear pair, Hilary, and I love the window to the bugs! Great take on the tic-tac-toe grid!! Happy New Year!!

Gail said...

Great job with the Tic Tac Tic Tac Toe!!!
I LOVE the bugs!
Your whole card is very creative!!

Greta said...

Super cute & creative, Hilary! Adorable card you received, too! Happy New Year!

Bastelmichaela said...

Hi, she turned out cute. I'm glad you like my card,
Have a nice day,
Hugs Michaela

R's Rue said...

So cute.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Maria said...

How sweet and cute is your card! Great design! A wonderful card you received, too! Happy New Year to you!!

Arlene said...

Those little cuties on the front are just adorable. Love the card.

Lisa said...

Absolutely adorable image and great aperture too. Happy New Year and blessings to you and your family. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and all your wonderful comments over the last year. I truly appreciate you taking the time.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A very cute aperture card, love those little Koala bears, just adorable.
Lorraine

Bonnie said...

I do love it. Can't wait to see it IRL. The koala bear are the cutest. But your layout design is the real rock star here, at least for me.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Beautifully done Hilary, the matching up of circles is wonderful with the insert image. Love this cutie bear too.
Faith x