Tuesday 2 April 2024

March Card Chain Challenge Reveal

Today is 2nd of the month so time for the Card Chain Challenge big reveal. This month 35 card makers took part and I sent my card to Bonnie in Colorado. I decided to sign up behind Bonnie again as I sent her my card for December, but it never arrived. But, no sooner had I done that, the long lost card was delivered! It was posted on the 5th of December '23 and arrived on 6th March '24! I wonder what it was doing all that time. I am so glad it eventually made it to it's destination. It just goes to show that you should never give up hope.

My card this month used the colours:


This cover die by Crafters Companion is one I have had for several years. I really like the art deco feel of it and I decided it would work well for this. It is a while since I had used it and I had forgotten what a pain it was to cut. Funny how we forget those things. Anyway, I managed to get a reasonably clean cut and then spent some time with a sticky roller trying to remove of the little paper hairs.


Once I was happy with it I mounted it onto a piece of black card, coloured some of the tiny pieces with an alcohol marker and then inlaid them. although I do love inlaying diecuts I don't think I would ever attempt to do this whole cover plate. One little section was quite enough!


I found this smile die in my stash and cut it from white card and black card. The white was coloured with my alcohol markers and it was slightly offset on the black layer. I think I inadvertently used a shade darker on the sentiment. Hope it doesn't look too off. I didn't notice until after I had glued it down - the perils of having too much stuff on my desk!

I mounted it onto a coloured cardbase and made a stencil to decorate the insert and envelope. I enjoyed making this so much that I made another. I bought this die at the same time. It was slightly easier to do the inlaying on this one so I filled 3 of the semicircles. I decided to send Bonnie the pink one as her December card was yellow.


Which is your favourite. I think I like them both equally.

I was very lucky to receive this gorgeous card from Robyn in Australia. I love the vibrancy of those flowers, it is offset beautifully by the mint green and white. It arrived in really good time too considering it came all the way from Australia. I got it on the 18th. Thanks Robyn.


If you would like to take part in the next card chain challenge, you have until 6th to sign up here

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

28 comments:

KraftyKoolKat said...

Two really gorgeous but fidderly cards to do Hilary. I would have thrown the die out of the window, you have lots of patience. They both have turned out beautifully.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Really gorgeous cards Hilary, the beautiful and intricate background dies create a lovely design to decorate as simply or elaborately as you wish. Your colour choices are great too.
Lorraine

papierelle said...

Your cards are stunning!! I love the effekt, it seems very three-dimensional.

Linby said...

I do love to inlay but I think even I might not attempt the whole card front either! It's so effective and definitely has an art deco vibe the yellow is equally pretty.

Viv said...

Love these lush cards Hilary! You've so much patience and it may have been fiddly but the result is fantastic! x

Ellibelle said...

They both are so beautiful with a pop of color. Hard to select a favorite but I'm currently loving yellow so maybe that one? You received such a beauty too! Glad Bonnie also received your card from December. I am still waiting on my October card.

Julia Aston said...

Oh what a fun technique putting colored bits back into your intricate die cut background Hilary - SO effective! Smart to color the white bits rather than cut another one in red (which is what I might have done before thinking!) Pretty in both red and yellow! The smile seems to follow the lines of he pattern so I don't think a tilt is noticed at all. And what a lovely card you received from Robyn too! Julia xx

Julia Aston said...

Also meant to say - your 2023 card must have fallen on the floor in the post office and they finally noticed it and sent it off!!!??!!!

Mia said...

Of course I love both the cards, Hilary. The are gorgeous! But I prefer the yellow one for two reasons: 1) I love the color yellow and 2) I love circles, semicircles etc. Kisses, my friend.

crafty-stamper said...

Both beautiful cards and cover dies,love the coloured inlays and the first card just that little bit more lol.Love the beautiful floral one from Robyn too.
Carol x

Gail said...

I like both cards Hilary!
A lot of work, but such a great effect!
Robyn's card is equally stunning!
Have a great week!

Angelnorth said...

These both look really stylish Hilary, I think you’re wise not to contemplate inlaying the whole cover plate though, I’m sure I’d go completely cross eyed!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Lots of work for sure with those intricate cover dies and the inlay, Hilary! But the results deserved the efforts!! Such great idea making stencils with them, I think that they are more quick to use than the diecut! However, love both your cards and can't choose a favourite: the first one is more elegant, and the second one more cheerful!
Lovely card also from your pal!

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary, both of these plates can try a woman's crafty soul, can't they? Your cuts appear to be perfect, and I give you much credit for inlaying those tiny pieces! Beautiful!
Robyn's card is gorgeous, too!
=]

Bonnie said...

Two beautiful die cut backgrounds and I applaud your patience in getting all the cuts out and actually inlaying some! The touch of color plays off the black and white so beautifully!

aussie aNNie said...

This is beautiful design and stunning overall with great colours. ♥
Sorry for MIA, had a house full over Easter for a week xx

GerJanne said...

Maybe your card was on a worldtour! My goodness, 3 months!
The cards you've made is great! The art deco pattern is lovely!
The card you've received is also a beauty!

Loll said...

This is such a fun challenge. Black and white with one other colour always makes amazing cards and you have proven that with the ones you made. Love both the pink and yellow version, Hilary! And what a gorgeous card from Robyn! xx

brenda said...

Both colour ways looks lovely Hilary but yellow and black always appeal to me.

You card saga doesn't surprise, my card to Dee in Kenya never did arrive and one sent locally for an anniversary took three weeks.

B x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous art deco styled cards, Hilary - I think my fave is the yellow but they're both wonderful!

Greta said...

Those are beautiful cover plates, but I know what you mean about lots of tiny pieces! Both cards are beautiful and even though pink is my favorite color--I can't pick a favorite! Wonderful card from Robyn!
Amazing the Dec card finally arrived. I've had something similar happen and I've also had one never arrive and it's been over 2 years! But, I think my 2nd card wins the award for fastest delivery from the west side of the USA to the UK. It got there in 4 days! The first card, also sent to the UK from the same post office, took 17 days and arrived the day before my 2nd card! Now is that crazy, or what?! Gotta laugh!

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous die cut cards, I love the pop of colours in both ♥

coldwaters2 said...

These are so beautiful Hilary I am a lover of Art Deco and as soon as I saw these that is what I was reminded of, I love how you have added the different colour sentiments and added just bits of colour to the main black and white design superb makes and what a beauty you received
hugs
lolo x

Leslie Miller said...

Goodness, Hilary, I love the art deco look of both dies and your cards are gorgeous! The pinks don't look off to me. I would have to say my favorite is the yellow because, well, yellow. It has such a cheerful look to it. Love the inlay on both. I think I need one of those sticky rollers. Those little hairs make me crazy! Such a beautiful card from Robyn, as well! I've had mail incidents like that before, too. All kinds of perils can befall the mail along the way and I suppose it's a wonder it arrives most of the time.

Arlene said...

When you spend a lot of time on something to make it perfect, it means a lot of love and care went into that card. It is so striking too!

Ashwini Rao said...

Yes, the die cuts look gorgeous and I do love the artsy look of them both. I was surprised that you attempted inlaid diecut technique with them - those die cuts are way too tiny - so wow! But the design does look great, so should be adequate compensation! :P
I remember my first trial at inlaid diecut technique I had used a doily die, and swore never to use it for the technique again - too many, too tiny pieces!! The card was looking gorgeous for all the effort that went in, though! So I suppose all the sweat is some worth!
I did love the card from Robyn as well. Absolutely spectacular!

Kate said...

I love your two art deco cards Hilary, though I can well imagine the trouble that first one gave you! I recently decided I'd use a rubber mat and emboss with a similar die I have - I don't want to be poking those bits out or working out the right number of shims to get a clean cut for a while! Anyway your cards are both lovely and well worth the effort! Hugs, Kate!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Catching up yet again Hilary, These cards are just fabulous, what inspiration you have from the die cuts, I love how you used them. I'm in awe to be honest, the cards are amazing. x