Tuesday 7 May 2024

Old Stamps and New Techniques

Today I have two cards to share that were inspired by this card by the lovely Ashwini and also by the group of seven card makers who are showcasing the elegant writer by speedball this month. I just happened to receive some as a birthday gift this year so have been wanting to use them. These 2 things coming together inspired me to make the 2 cards I am sharing today.

Ashwini's post reminded me that I have the stamp set that she used (fancy flowers by MFT). Her card was enough inspiration for me to get it out and make these cards.


I used my new stampwheel (another birthday present) to mask and stamp the flowers onto hot pressed watercolour paper with versafine onyx black ink. Once the stamping was done I drew in the stems and used my elegant writer to go over the outside lines of the flowers. Then with a wet brush I pulled the wet ink out to colour the background.


Once the background was dry I decided to do the same with the flowers. I just played around with the marker and water until I was happy with the look. I then used a gold sparkle pen to add some detail. I fussy cut around the flowers to create the edge and mounted them onto a black panel that I had embossed with a butterfly folder by Darice. I used a white pigment ink and a foam blender over the butterflies, but it didn't work terribly well so I then went over them with a white pencil.


I used some liquid metal in orange gold for the splatters (reasonably pleased with them) and a foiled sentiment (Spellbinders). The card was then finished off with a few gold gems around the sentiment and on the butterflies.


I made the second card in exactly the same way but instead of using the elegant writer on the flowers I just coloured them with my zig clean colour real brush pens. The sentiment is a Spellbinders pressplate. I used oval dies and mounted it onto a coloured cardbase. No splatters on this one just a few tiny gems.


I am pleased with how these turned out so I want to thank Ashwini for giving me the prompt to use this stamp set and my elegant writer. I like the effect and think it is a great way to do a background.


I actually bought this stamp set at the MFT shop in Florida in 2017. It was when I was first getting into stamping and card making and I realised that the shop was within driving distance of out holiday destination. It was such a treat. I am so glad my John agreed to drive me. I bought my Misti there too. Sadly that was the last time we went to Florida (we used to go every year). I think it is unlikely that we will go again now, so it is nice to remember it. I even have a photo of the shop.



I am sharing the first card at:
I had intended to share it at Seize the Birthday #282 - Off the edge, but unfortunately I missed the deadline!
Group of Seven Cardmakers - Elegant Writer

I am sharing my second card at:
The Flower Challenge #91 - colour your flower


Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

22 comments:

Greta said...

Fun to see what different looks you can get from one stamp set depending on how you use it! 2 lovely cards!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Two gorgeous cards with those flowers, Hilary - love the drama of the elegant writer coloring on card one and the colorful ziggies on card two!!

Cat Craig said...

Wonderful diversity with that stamp set. Beautiful cards.

brenda said...

Such striking use of colour Hilary. My thoughts on Florida are much the same, the length of flight becomes a scary thought.

B x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I read about the elegant writer on Darnell's blog and it seems an interesting item. Love how the backgrounds came out and both the cards look so impressive. My favourite is the second one because of the colours! :)
Sorry I don't replay to your mail, my time is very limited
Hugs

Ashwini Rao said...

Thank you so much Hilary! I am glad to have reminded you of these flowers, since you've made some spectacular cards! I love both the cards - the black-white-gold of the first one is really striking and the colorful second is really cheerful! Great interpretations! Sorry you couldn't make it to the Seize the Birthday challenge, but I am glad you put that stamp to good use! :)

Darnell said...

Two sensational designs with completely different, but equally fantastic looks, Hilary! I'm loving both your EW results and your beautiful Ziggie painting! Thanks for playing with the Go7! (Off to find if I still have this set!) Hugs, Darnell

crafty-stamper said...

Both fabulous cards and love both versions and the beautiful flower stamps.
Carol x

coldwaters2 said...

Wow two beautiful creations Hilary you have done an exceptional job with two different colourways of the stamp excellent work
hugs
lolo x

I Card Everyone said...

I'm so happy to zoom in to see these beauties up close, Hilary! As much as I love seeing your work with those Elegant Writers, and this gorgeous, dramatic card, my heart belongs to your second Zig-colored card - can you tell I'm ready for Spring color?
I have never seen this set! But I HAVE had the pleasure of visiting MFT in Florida!
The only reason I would go back is if you decide to take one more trip there! What do you say? Shall we meet there?
=]

Maria said...

Oh, my! Such gorgeous cards! I love the contrast with the white soft butterflies and beautiful flowers! And, lovely zig colored card! Happy to hear that you made it to the MFT store! They reopened again and it is my goal to get there and visit a friend who lives nearby.

Maria said...

Oh, my! Such gorgeous cards! I love the contrast with the white soft butterflies and beautiful flowers! And, lovely zig colored card! Happy to hear that you made it to the MFT store! They reopened again and it is my goal to get there and visit a friend who lives nearby.

kiwimeskreations said...

What beautiful work Hilary - love the bright colours against the water/inked background in second card. The drama of the black and gold in the top one is stunning also
Blessings
Maxine

Bonnie said...

This is a perfect stamp for coloring with the Elegant Writer, Hilary! I love how you were able to get the pink and blue shades and the soft wash in the background! These flowers are so pretty colored two. Such different looks from the same stamp!

Loll said...

Hi Hilary. Two beautiful cards using the same image, my friend. LOVE the elegant writer card with that gorgeous butterfly background ... so perfect with the moody effect on the flowers from the EW. The image is gorgeous in Spring colours. Your colouring on both is fantastic. xx

Leslie Miller said...

I can hardly take my eyes off your flowers, Hilary! Rich and unique on the first, with layers and design that keep me going back for more. Your second card is wonderfully colorful, an enticing combo. Clever you to draw in the stems to give these flowers yet more versatility. My finger is wearing out from scrolling back and forth. It must have been a treat to visit the MFT shop in Florida. Fond memories!

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful floral stamp Hilary! I love both versions - and happy to see you tried the Elegant writer too! How fun you got to the brick and mortar MFT shop! Julia xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOWZER Hilary, what a complete difference in your stunning cards, they are fabulous. Beautiful effects on your first card and wonderful colours on your second, great designs too. x

EmmaT said...

Gorgeous cards that look so different, just shows how versatile stamps are and lovely to use an old set. Emma

papierelle said...

I actually love the muted colors, but I like the second card a little better here.

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary, I got caught up with imagining the fun we'd have together in Florida and forgot completely to thank you for sharing your gorgeous, beautifully colored card with us at The Flower Challenge!! THANK YOU!
=]

Christine Alexander said...

I'm so glad you gave the elegant writer a try, your card looks amazing and I love how you used that stamp.