Friday 20 October 2023

Getting Messy With Embossing Folders

Today I a set of Christmas cards to share that I made using the technique showcased by the group of seven cardmakers dry embossing with re-inker watercolouring, except I used brushos instead of re-inkers. I inked up 1 A4 piece of watercolour paper and make 6 cards from it - I was pleased with that.

Here they are:


I used versafine onyx black ink swiped directly onto the flat side of the embossing folder. It was very messy, but it worked. On the one below I swiped a second time and ran it through the machine, but I got a little shadow so I didn't do that again. It is not too obvious so I carried on with the panel. The sentiments are cut with glitter paper and stacked onto a black die cut to give a little shadow and help them stand out. The panels were then attached to coloured cardbases.


I used a different EF for the remainding A5 panel which was cut in half so I had 2 A6 panels. The EF is another 3d folder by Sizzix. I made them in exactly the same way but cut each embossed panel in half so I could make 4 cards. The panels were quite busy so I thought making them smaller help tone that down a bit, plus you can use these panels any way up unlike the trees above.


The black ink wasn't as intense as it could have been, but I son't mind that. When I used this technique before I used a black pen to fill in the background. That gives an intense colour, but takes ages. It also messed up the nib on my fineliner pen. I shan't be doing that again with my best pens.


I matted the panels onto some glitter paper and then a coloured cardbase.



Thanks to the group of seven cardmakers for all their inspiration. I am very pleased that I have been able to join the linky this month. I am ashamed to say that it is my first time.

I did make a few more cards but I experimented with different paints and inks. I will share them on a different post - hopefully!

I am sharing these at:
Group of Seven Carmakers - dry embossing with watercolour background


Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

26 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

You're catching up on the Christmas card production, Hilary! Great cards with that GO7 inspiration!!

Viv said...

Great cards Hilary!

Leslie Miller said...

Hilary, these Christmas cards are absolutely beautiful and I for sure want to try this technique whenever I can get my act together. I've had the pleasure of receiving a few cards with this technique just recently -- birthday and sympathy. I can't stay long, but wanted to pop in and see some of your recent and, oh, so lovely cards. I miss blogging and hope to get back to it soon.

I Card Everyone said...

Bravo, Hilary! Wow, your time spent with this fun technique was surely successful - gorgeous cards, love the colors, and don't even mind that those once-swiped backgrounds are less intensely black. Your large sentiments are just perfect!
=]

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Awesome 6 Christmas cards using the Group of Seven Dry Embossing with Brushos instead if Distress Refill inks, Hilary. I Love your colorful artsy and very original looking Christmas cards and how you cut the backgrounds down and added to colored cardstock for a nice framing format. Thank you so much for adding to our Group of Seven Cardmakers Linky too. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

You said me about the other works you made with that amazing trees EF, and here they are, WOW, just awesome! Great take of that interesting technique, Hilary! I have to try! So inspiring! Also the four cards with the other EF look great! Love the sparkling/shining of the sentiments, these cards don't need so much to be striking!

P.S. Thanks for the name of the cacti on your pot. :)

Liz said...

Fabulous cards, Hilary. The inky panels are beautiful. xx

GerJanne said...

Hi Hilary,
these cards are amazing! Wow, i love this techniek. And the shining in these colors is wonderful!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous selection and love the technique.
Carol x

Loll said...

Great work Hilary. Your cards are gorgeous! Isn't this an addictive technique??!! So happy you tried it out and joined Group of Seven! Thank you. Love, Loll

Bonnie said...

Great job on this technique, Hilary! Six fantastic Christmas cards!

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful carda love the fabulous colours here and that design is awesome ♥

Christine Alexander said...

I'm so glad you played along with us this month, I actually love the distressed look when you don't get a dark black background. Beautiful cards ♥

Mervi said...

Great way, done that, but never with Onyx Black, think it's quite messy. Ok have to try! I'm so late with my Cmas cards!
Fabulous cards, I liked the latter EF best;-))m

brenda said...

You have been having messy fun Hilary all so different as well, I'd not eve thought of using Brushos for that technique.

B x

Bonnie said...

These are fascinating. Wish mine with a busy ef turned out as pretty as yours did.

Papercraft Boutique said...

All six of these Christmas cards are fantastic, Hilary! The various shades of brusho colors look so beautiful against the black background, creating great contrasts. The sentiments, die-cut from glitter paper, add a festive and pretty touch! Thanks for sharing your learnings!
Hideko xx

kiwimeskreations said...

What beautiful results Hilary - and I love that you cut the final panels down into a smaller size - I think it adds drama to the finished cards to have the wide borders, and the die cut sentiments are more obvious when they pop over the edge of the embossed panel
Blessings
Maxine

Ashwini Rao said...

Oh, wow! I love the look! The black really highlights the colors and the embossing so much - it's gorgeous!! Love your cards. I liked the idea that you backed them up with solid colors after pairing them with gold - really couldn't elevate this more!

KraftyKoolKat said...

Wow!! Hilary these are so colourful, pretty and striking.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

These are such gorgeous cards and the tree embossing folder is my favourite - I might have to put this one in my collection ;o)
Lorraine

papierelle said...

Wow, the effect is stunningly beautiful!!! And I definitely need to take a closer look at this technique.

Linby said...

These are all really effective. I do like the second EF you used as it looks more abstract.

Brenda in IN said...

These came out great and I'm so glad you tried it. It is a bit messy but since I get ink on myself anyway, it just added more! I love the Merry & Bright design so much.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Stunning set of cards Hilary, the effect you have achieved is very lovely. Beautiful embossing folders and a lovely mix of inks. Just fabulous.
Faith x

Julia Aston said...

So sorry I'm so late in coming to see your gorgeous cards using this technique Hillary - I didn't get perfect coverage with the black either - but I think the result is still stunning and beautiful! I love both of the EF's you used here! Thanks for sharing with us at GO7!! Julia