Monday 2 October 2023

September Card Chain Challenge Reveal

Today is 2nd of the month so time for the September Card Chain Challenge big reveal, 29
card makers took part and I sent my card to Tina in Slovenia.

This month I have used the theme options of Autumn and Friendship and the technique option of Foil.


I bought this spellbinders autumn leaf border hotfoil plate in the spellbinders sale an few weeks ago and this is the first card I have made with it. I used iridescent gold foil onto smooth white cardstock and then coloured the image with my polychromos pencils - I was quite pleased with the result. I hope my leaves look suitably autumnal.


I cut my panel with a scalloped edge die and decided that I had to do something about all the white space. Hence my attempt at splatters. I am terrified of splatters and feel that I haven't mastered them yet. Firstly,  I took three acrylic paint pens in different colours (green, orange and yellow) and splattered away. The resulting splatters were very fine and the different colours didn't show up very well so I had another go with some gold calligraphy ink. These splatters were a bit more visible, but still very fine. Anyway I left it there as I thought I was about to ruin it.


My next conundrum was where to place my sentiment, which was foiled in a different gold and stacked for dimension. In the end I just placed it in the middle as it just didn't look right anywhere else. I rarely make landscape cards, mainly because I can never get them to stand up properly. To add interest to the insert, I used the foil plate to emboss a piece of smooth watercolour paper. I tried using thinner paper but it just cracked. I lightly inked the embossing, trimmed the panel and attached it to a pale yellow insert.

I was very lucky to receive this gorgeous card from Dagmara in Poland. I love the colours on this one and the background has a lovely shimmer to it. The card is sitting on my shelf and that little fox just keeps staring at me! Anyway, I love it. Thanks Dagmara. She tells me that the sentiment means 'empires fall, friendship endures'.

If you would like to take part in the next card chain challenge, you have until 6th to sign up here.

Yesterday I said I would share some of the photos of the succulent displays that I came across at RHS Wisley on Thursday. I have been growing succulents for a number of years so I am always interested in seeing new displays and getting ideas. I wasn't disappointed.

This display is in a large terracotta pot and those plants are quite large, each one about the size of my hand.

They are doing a trial of Aeoniums with the intention of awarding some an award of garden merit (AGM). You can see about a third of them in this picture.

This is one of about 10 displays that were sat on the tables on the roof terrace of the Hilltop centre.
I love them all.

And finally here is one of my own displays.


Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

21 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and Autumn coloured leaves,great colours,love all the foiling and splatters-my last try I splattered my desk,phone,floor and arms with ONE single splatter on the card-a talent right lol.Fabulous card from Dagmara love the cute fox and all your succulent pics.
Carol x

Carole said...

Love this card...I bet it really shimmers . Your leaves are stunning and your splatters look fine to me...I am scared of splatters too..hence I don't do them! That foiling looks amazing (quite envious there). Wish I could have been a tWisley too...bet it was wonderful and still so much colour. Thanks for sharing the pics.xx

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Hilary this is gorgeous love the leaves they look so realistic I also love the wonderful Autumnal colours and the dotted background a superb make loving your pictures
hugs
lolo x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous leafy border, Hilary - I love how you've colored it!! Darling card from Dagmara too! Oooo - stunning succulents - thanks for sharing! Yours rival the ones at the garden!!

Bonnie said...

WOW, what a stunning creation. I love your splatters but they are such a personal thing. I have the best luck with a splatter box and Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Splatter Brush. Dip the tip in paint, watercolor or acrylic, then hold the bristles back from the paint and let them slip through your fingers.

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary, I love your card - I bought this foil plate with my very first order from Spellbinders' - you see how far I've gotten with that?
Lovely, wonderful colors of Autumn through my eyes - and the fine splatters are perfect!
Here's a little trick I use when I want a landscape card - cut your card panel 4.25 x 11 score at 5.5" and make it a side-fold landscape card that stands at attention!
Your display is AGM merit worthy! I have never had one of my succulents bloom!
=]

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

How gorgeous leaves! Love so much how you coloured them and the gold foil looks amazing! Beautiful splattered background, it looks so delicate and matches the leaves perfectly!The scallop border give a sweet feel tu your card!

Gorgeous display of succulents, and yours are wonderful too!

Julia Aston said...

what a beautiful card Hilary - I have a foiling machine and have yet to even open it! Your coloring with your pencils is wonderful - and no one masters splatter ! It does what it does no matter how many times you try it!! LOL!!! Your splattering is lovely here - I love that you mixed colors - beautiful scalloped border on your panel as well! Julia xx

GerJanne said...

Hi Hilary,
Your card is a piece of art! Wow , so lovely!
The leaves are so beautiful.
The card youe got from Tina is very nice with the cute little fox!
And the succulents are amazing.
I enjoyed the cake indeed😋

Bonnie said...

Beautiful autumn leaves, Hilary, and perfect splatters! A beautiful card for fall!

Christine Alexander said...

such beautiful fall leaves ♥

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful post love the stunning colours and arty work x

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Hilary!! LOVE your gold foilded leaves ... you did amazing colouring with your pencils. And I LOVE the splatters. Looks like you have mastered them to me. Your sentiment is perfect placed too! Great work, my friend! xx

brenda said...

A gorgeous Autumnal card Hilary, would fit in perfectly at Allsorts this week.

B x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

What a beautiful CAS design using these fabulous Autumn leaves. the gold foiling really makes for an opulent feel, love it.
Lorraine

Linby said...

The gold on your leaves looks so pretty, it's a lovely design. Great card from the swap too.
Beautiful succulent photos.

Ashwini Rao said...

Very pretty card. I love the foiling projects you are coming out with - this one is no exception. I love the colors of the leaves, of course, and also how you added the splatters to fill up the white space - that really added a nice touch and lifts up the card.
The succulents are looking really awesome! They really look like they justify their name! :D

kiwimeskreations said...

Beautiful colouring of the leaves Hilary, and I love your fine splatters!
I often make landscape cards with a side fold rather than a top fold - they are lots more stable :)
Blessings
Maxine

papierelle said...

You have captured the perfect golden autumn on your card. And the succulents thrill me. Your own don't have to hide behind the professionals.

Arlene said...

Your card definitely looks autumnal. I love the leaves. Lovely card.

Tina Z. said...

such an amazing card, I love it, it looks incredible with this foil. thank you so much. and I like succulents too.
crafty hugs xx