Monday 23 October 2023

Three cards and a bonus

Today I have three cards to share.

Card 1
I made this background panel while I was experimenting with different paint and ink after seeing the group of seven carmakers technique for October. I painted a sheet of watercolour paper with Gansai Tambi gem pink paint and then swiped the Spellbinders 3d embossing folder with Catherine Pooler apricot ink before embossing my panel. This embossing folder doesn't really have a flat side, but the debossed side is definitely flatter than the other side (see card 2). Anyway, I quite liked the look and the shine from the gem colour shows through the ink to give the background a subtle glow. Unfortunately I couldn't pick this up in my photos, so you will just have to believe me.

--

My flowers are from Pinkfresh, I have the hotfoil plate with matching stencils and dies. I love it and have used it several times already. The thank you sentiment is a hot foil plate by Spellbinders.



I want to share this at the Flower Challenge as they are celebrating their 7th birthday. I am so glad they are going to continue. Looking forward to the next 7 years.
The Flower Challenge #85 - Anything Goes


Card 2
This time I painted a piece of black watercolour card  with gem yellow gold and swiped black ink on the embossing folder before embossing the panel. This didn't really work because the ink went on the thin raised edges. I think it might have helped the definition of the embossing a little. It may not have worked as intended but it does have a wonderful shine in real life.


I added the baubles that were cut from snippets of gelli prints and backed them with glitter paper.


I am sharing this one at:
Christmas Kickstarter Day 8 - Let's play tic tac toe with Gail. I have used the left hand column die cut, glitter and embossing. I never knew Janis well but I did have the honour of receiving one of her cards as part of the card chain challenge in August 2020.
Snippets Playground #465 - My baubles and sentiment are cut from snippets.


Card 3
I made this cheery little card from some new dies I bought from Alex Syberia Designs, it is so hard to resist their generous 40% off sales.


I cut all the dies, and there are some very tiny pieces in this set, from white card and then coloured them with alcohol markers before arranging on a background that I blended with Distress Oxide inks. I highlighted the indentations with a sparkle gelly roll pen.


I eventually managed to get them arranged how I liked and used a combination of glue and foam tape to stick them down. I was very pleased with myself for not losing the tiny birds eye and the dot on the i.

I am sharing this one at:
The Divas that Cut Paper - Use a layer die set
NBUS #55 - The die set is NBUS


And finally here is a little bonus:

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

27 comments:

Diane said...

All three cards are beautiful, I know how it is with small die cut pieces as I do a lot of the Cottage Cutz dies and they are PICKY at times, your bird card is amazing beautiful!!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous batch of cards, Hilary! Love your take on the ef technique and your birdie card looks amazing!!

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary, you have stretched that technique and found your own way of using it, too! LOve the effect it brings to your floral beauty - and I love that you will continue to play at The Flower Challenge for the next 7 years - thank you!
[I have this embossing folder - and think that the black ink has definitely given and extra depth to that 'quilting']
=]

crafty-stamper said...

All beautiful cards,love the dies and beautiful flowers,fabulous background technique too.
Carol x

Sarn said...

A lovely collection of cards. Thanks for entering Card 2 as your Snippets Playground homework. See you on the swings xxx

Arlene said...

WOW, Fantastic group of cards! They are all wonderful. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our October challenge with that cute card with the bird and flowers.

brenda said...

A real bumper post Hilary, lovely creations (I need more EF's). Thanks for that link, just took a look and wish I'd found that before I embarked on trying out this technique, the guys youtube I found was good but this link goes further.

B x

papierelle said...

You drive me crazy with your brilliantly designed backgrounds. I also want to know how to do it, but don't have the time to look into it at the moment. So all I can do is marvel at your gorgeous cards!!!

Loll said...

LOVE your experiments with different colours for the embossing folder backgrounds. All these cards are GORGEOUS! I need to try this! :) Thanks for the inspiration, Hilary! And your cheery card with the bright flowers and bird is so sweet. Already looking forward to Spring! :) xx

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my word Hilary what a wonderful selection of cards each one is just pure perfection filled with beauty
hugs
lolo x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

...I'm speechless, Hilary!! You have been so busy and your cards are one more beautiful than the other!!! WOW WOW WOW!!! A lot of love on them and how many attention to the details!
I have to try those techniques with EFs and different mediums as well the black inking, your results are so inspiring! Love so much also the dies you used (such wonderful set of flowers dies plus stencil in the first card, and the hotfoiling looks awesome!!) The first card looks very elegant, sweet and feminine, amazing colours and I can image it looks also better IRL! The second one is more masculine in my feel, and such awesome embossing! Love the resultant colour and it really makes the lovely sparkling baubles pop out!
The third card is SO cheerful and absolutely adore the palette you used! That green smile shadow catches my eyes, such beautiful sentiment! A lot of work here, with all those tiny pieces and love the sparkly indentations!
Well done using another piece of the fabulous embossed background for the bonus card! Love that turquoise for the back of the bauble and the branch!
Great inspirations, thank you!!

Bonnie said...

Four fantastic cards, Hilary! Your experiments turned out wonderfully and are so creative! Love that embossing folder! Card #3 is so bright and pretty! You did a great job of getting all those little pieces together!

kiwimeskreations said...

You have been busy 'playing' Hilary, and with spectacular results - a fabulous quartet of cards!
Blessings
Maxine

Christine Alexander said...

I'm so glad you played along with us this month, I absolutely love the gold on black so cool and the foiled flowers are gorgeous. I know I need more foil and stencil sets from Pinkfresh :)
Your little bird on the flowers makes me want summer back xx

GerJanne said...

Hi Hilary,
I love that technic with ink and embossingfolders. The three cards with it are very nice! With the balck ink it makes the cards very chic.
Thee card with the dies , birds ans flowers is so bright! Love it too!
It's a technic I have to do sometime....

Linby said...

You have been having fun with the EFs - these both look wonderful and your third card is so bright and cheerful.

Di said...

Wonderful cards and I totally LOVE the richness of your snippets card. A wonderful design and really eye catching too.

Hugs
Di xx

Open Your Heart to Gardening said...

Beautiful cards all of them.

Darnell said...

Cool designs for your three cards and a bonus, Hilary! And another bonus to us Go7 cardmakers for the compliment of joining in! Thank you! I love your results and how different they are! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Lisa said...

The first card on this post is incredibly gorgeous. Great emboss folder, super gorgeous colors and love the wonderful flowers.

The second card is quite lovely and a great emboss folder too.

Wonderful selection of die cuts on the third card.

aussie aNNie said...

These are all beautiful love the designs, and the fabulous colours ♥

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Three gorgeous cards, all so different but fabulous none the less.
Lorraine

Jules said...

Hi Hilary

A brilliant selection of cards .. .. very inspirational. Great colour choices too.

Many thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I hope that all is good at your end.

Love Jules xx

My Paper Epiphany said...

Three amazing cards my friend! Lots of inky goodness and cheerful colours! Hugs x

Leslie Miller said...

Wow! You mentioned a few things that didn't go right, but I have to say your cards look pretty fantastic to me. The gold/black embossing actually looks like real fabric. All your cards are gorgeous. The bird card is especially fun with the bright colors, and you know I have a fondness for that sort of layered die cut creation.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What fantastic cards I've missed, your first with the flower over the embossing is beautiful, love the technique you used and the colours. The second card background, looks like a plush cushion, with the lovely baubles. The bird and flowers are bright and happy, and it did make me smile. A beautiful card. The bonus card is a delight with the bauble and branch and that plush cushion again. Beautiful work Hilary.
Faith x

Greta said...

What a post with all these beautiful cards! Good for you trying new techniques & so worth the results! ASD does have beautiful products & good sales! Beautiful card & hurrah for not loosing the tiny pieces!