Tuesday 22 January 2019

Twofer #12 'Birds"

Hello,
Today I finally have 2 cards ready to enter the Twofer January challenge, the codeword is birds. I do enjoy this challenge but I always struggle to decide what stamp/die/stencil to use, and then to come up with 2 designs, and then to execute them successfully. But then I suppose that's why I do it, it is a true challenge.

Anyway here are my cards:


I have used the Ranger Dylusions stamp and stencil set that came with issue 186 of Simply Cards and Papercraft magazine. I have included the set in this photo:




For this first card I wanted a kind of mixed media feel. I put down a layer of watercolour and then dabbed colour through the stencil before spritzing it, once it was dry I stamped the images and added a bit of additional colour to them with my Zig real brush pens. I also spritzed cosmic shimmer over the finished card. It is a birthday card, here is a close up:



My second card is for Valentines day:


I created the mirror image of the bird using a gel plate, then coloured them with colouring pencils and fussy cut. The background behind the heart is alcohol ink on yupo paper, of course. I can't get enough of that, just love the effect. I propped the panel up on craft foam and added the small hearts because I managed to smudge red ink on the panel!

Here is a close up:

I have 2 days to go before the deadline so that's not too bad.


Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. I would love to hear what you think about my cards.
Hilary
xx

9 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Never thought to use a gel plate for creating mirror images - such a clever idea! Lovely cards, Hilary, such cute birds, Jo x

Leslie Miller said...

Two wonderfully different designs with your birds! Gosh, I wouldn't have thought the one was a mirror image, you did it so perfectly. I love the background you created for your first card. Fabulous colors and sort of a jungle-y look to it. This challenge makes me put my thinking cap on, too, but I guess that's what I love about it. You did great! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer!

oldpunca said...

Your bird twofer is amazing! I like fantastic background on the first card. Well done! :-) Mirror stamping with gel plate looks fabulous. Super nice alcohol ink effect on the second card.

Cat Craig said...

Great idea on the mirror! YOur twofers are different styles and perfect for the challenge.

Kara Lynne said...

Both of your cards are fantastic, Hilary! I love your mixed media background with those bright citrus colors! Impressive mirror stamping on your Valentine. The alcohol ink makes a perfect background for those two lovebirds. Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

Darnell said...

I really appreciate that you enjoy how challenging Twofer is, Hilary! I feel the same way and am sometimes quite stumped myself for a second idea, lol! You did a brilliant job with your mixed media background for that fun boot-wearing bird! I love the rich colors and all the interesting layers ~ and the flower! For your romantic Valentine design, wow, that's so cool that you could make a mirror image bird! I, too, love alcoholic Yupo paper and can't get enough of it. Thanks for another idea for using it. This red beauty looks sensational behind the heart! I also love the little gold hearts and the way you did your gold borders! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #12! Hugs, Darnell

JD/ Jill said...

You've made 2 really cute cards for challenge...great designs...

Cathy said...

2 really different designs Hilary, love the intense colours in your mixed media one, and what a brilliant idea to use a gel plate to mirror the image! (I have seen lots of interesting looking techniques with gel plates and am succumbing to the temptation to get one lol! Cathy x

Anita in France said...

The richness of the colours on your birthday card are delicious, Hilary, the shimmer puts me in mind of morning dew as this cute bird is off for breakfast! Fantastic detailing on your Saint Valentine's Day card ... mirror image stamping, the yupo background, the gold edging ... and those two cuties perched perfectly on the sentiment panel! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)