Saturday 8 April 2023

Happy Easter

Today I have a couple of Easter cards to share. Actually they are the only Easter cards I have made this year. I don't generally send them except to my daughters if I am not seeing them. 


One of my birthday presents last week was a Gemini Foilpress, so I have been playing with it. I love it, it is my new favourite thing. I have been telling myself for months that I don't need a foiling machine as, after all, I have a scan and cut and can foil with that, but it is definitely not the same. I made both these backgrounds with coverplate dies and I think the effect is stunning. It also worked really easily. I just found that I needed to turn the heat up more than the instructions say.


In order to make the background the star of the show, I used diecut flowers for the focal point and a simple sentiment. I also managed to use the negative from this one and it came out quite well. I will share that in a day or two. It is much harder to foil the negative. I found it needs a lot of heat and more pressure and is less likely to foil cleanly. As with anything new, it is a process of trial and error.


My layered daffodil was cut from scraps of card and coloured with my Zig paint pens. I even managed to foil the little hearts. I used a green foil on the daffodil card and a gold foil on the tulip card.

My second card was made in exactly the same way.




I am sharing the first (because it is my favourite) card at:
Allsorts 722/723 - Anything goes with the option of in the spring garden. there are lots of daffodils in my spring garden
Try it on Tuesday - Hello spring
Little Red Wagon #699 - spring or fall
Snippets Playground #451 - My snippets are the daffodil and the sentiment strip

Supplies:
Cardstock: smooth white stamping card; Hunky Dory adorable scorable coated card
Ink: Zig clean colour real brush pens
Stamps: Concord & 9th
Dies: Daffodil: free with simply cards & papercraft mag; Tulip: pretty quick; Crafter Companion cover plate dies: art deco and clamshell horizon

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

25 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous cards and background and love the beautiful die-cut flowers-I don't make Easter cards either
Carol x

GerJanne said...

Well, if you know you will use a machine often, it's worth is, isn't it? I love the backgrounds. They are so delicate!
I've never ever made Eastercards. Never say never.....
Happy Easter!

Greta said...

What a wonderful present! Really love your cards--classy & beautiful! Happy Easter, Hilary!

Sarn said...

Two lovely spring flower cards here.

Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. I’ve given up chasing playmates and am having a hot chocolate up in the treehouse!!!! Happy Easter xxx

brenda said...

Very impressed with the foiled elements Hilary and both cards so elegant.

I have the new SDX1200 S&C and didn't even realise you could foil with it (I've a lot to learn).

Lovely to see you at Allsorts Easter fortnight challenge, many thanks for joining in and using the Spring Garden option.

Have a lovely Easter Sunday.

B x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Oh Hilary, how elegant foiled backgrounds for your lovely layered flowers!! I haven't a foil press machine, but it seems really useful! Waiting to see your make with the foiled negative! That nasturtium looks fabulous and such beautiful gift from a magazine!
I wish you a sweet Easter! Hugs

Pia S said...

Two fresh and classy spring designs. Love how both the flowers AND the backgrounds are made to be equal focal points. I especially love the design of the background of the first card, that pattern looks fab. Also, thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.

Imke said...

Thanks for joining our "Spring or Fall" Challenge @ Little Red Wagon with these lovely, beautiful card, Hilary. We hope to see you back again soon.

Imke MY CRAFTY PLACE

papierelle said...

Very beautiful CAS cards with amazing spring flowers!! Happy Easter!!!

Mia said...

Happy Easter, Hilary. The foiling backgrounds are stunning.

I Card Everyone said...

How very pretty these foiled backgrounds are, Hilary! LOve the look with your die-cut layered flowers!
You've already done better than I did my first time out - I quickly foiled my shim!
Happy Easter!
=]

Viv said...

Gorgeous cards Hilary, those backgrounds look immense! Lovely to see you at Try It On Tuesday. x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Happy Easter Wishes, Hilary! Just love your layered flowers with the foiled backgrounds - gorgeous!!

Cat Craig said...

Oh Hilary, these are Gorgeous. How fab to get the foiling system. Happy Easter.

Maria said...

Amazing cards with the pretty yellow flowers! Love the backgrounds, too! Happy Easter!!

Christine Alexander said...

both cards are fabulous, I love how you used the cover plate die to create your backgrounds and the flowers show them off so well ♥

Linby said...

Well done on getting into foiling. I love doing it and trying different results. You can foil with an embossing folder which is my fave to do.

These are so pretty. I'm drawn to the first one probably because I love Art Deco!

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.

Bonnie said...

Your foiled background turned out beautifully, Hilary! I've not had good luck with the negative foiling. I need more practice! Both of these fabulous backgrounds are perfect places for showing off the gorgeous flowers!

Ellibelle said...

Two beautiful spring cards with stunning backgrounds and yay for a new crafty toy!! I've not tried foiling yet! It does look so beautiful!
Thank you so much for joining us at Allsorts challenge!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner

Di said...

Lovely cards Hilary. I guess we can expect a good amount of foiling from you in the near future - have fun!

Hugs
Di xx

Mervi said...

Stunning die cut flowers, fabulous cards!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Rainey's Craft Room said...

What a lovely gift for your birthday and you seem to have taken straight to it. I love these pretty Easter cards with their foiled backgrounds.
Lorraine

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, Hilary, look at you go with the foiling! Magnificent results on those backgrounds. They both turned out so beautifully. I also love the dimension of the layered die cut flowers. Enjoy your new machine!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, these cards are stunning! I love the embossed background with the beautiful spring flowers, the dies are so amazing - perfect 😊. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Ashwini Rao said...

Sorry about being sooo late to comment!! Had a bout of flu and was down for a week. Finally up and about now :)
Your Easter cards are so beautiful! I love the foiling - the subtle background looks amazing - I can only imagine how it would look irl - stunning, I bet! The die cut flowers are so beautiful as well. Really wonderful cards, Hilary!