Tuesday 18 April 2023

We Love Stamping April Reminder

Today is the 18th so time for a reminder for the current challenge over at We Love Stamping. The challenge where you can showcase your stamps and your skill at using them.

This month our theme is:

**Anything Goes with the Option of Birds/Animals**


When I was thinking about what to do for this card, I thought that I didn't have many bird stamps, but I looked through my collection and found a whole set of different birds that was free with a magazine I had bought some years ago and had hardly used. I decided to use the song thrush as they are beautiful birds, but we really don't see them very much anymore. Not where I live anyway. The next question was what to do with it.


I have been playing quite a bit with my gelli plate recently. I have been trying to get better at using acrylic paint with it, but because I have been having limited success, I put away the paint and got out my inks, which I find much easier. I used distress inks and randomly covered the plate with colour before pulling the print. Then I did another layer using a layering leaf stamp set by Altenew, that I have had for ages but not really used. I inked it up and randomly stamped it onto the gel plate. I pulled another print over the top of the first. My recent playing has taught me that it is much easier to layer up on the paper rather than on the plate.


I like the look of this and so I just stamped and fussy cut the bird and then coloured it with polychromos pencils. My panel was cut down with a stitched die, mounted onto a coloured cardbase and the bird mounted on foam pads and it was done. Very simple. I stamped the bird on the insert and envelope to finish off the look.

Don't forget there is always a prize to be won and this month the prizes include 2 stamps and a stencil by ALL & Create. Why don't you head over to the challenge blog to check it out? The prize winner is selected randomly and in addition the DT will choose one entry to join us as a guest designer for a future challenge.

I hope I have inspired you to join us this month, all you have to do is follow the prompt and ensure stamping is the main focus on your card. The challenge will close at noon (UK time) on Wednesday 3rd May

I am looking forward to seeing you in the gallery.

Supplies:
Cardstock: Adorable scorable coated card; 160gsm smooth paper (for the gelli printing); a scrap of bristol vellum for the bird
Ink: distress inks, various shades of green; Catherine Pooler icing on the cake for the stamping
Stamps: British garden birds free with Simply Cards & Papercraft Issue 187

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

17 comments:

Linby said...

Not seen this stencil before, but combined with your gelli print it is a beautiful background for this gorgeous song thrush.

brenda said...

It's a gorgeous background for Song Thrush Hilary. Your right about acrylics as whilst the colours are strong some inks just don't set well on them.

We have a pair in the garden but like you not seen often.

B x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow! How amazing background you made for the beautiful bird, Hilary!! The green and gold layered leaves look just amazing and the bird is realistic, it seems to me to be in a summer garden and hearing the bird song!
My plays with the gelly plate are always very messy, and sadly often the acrylic paint don't make me able to stamp on later... I tried with lot of different inks but never had a good impression (Versafine Clair works better, but not the perfection). So well done for using DI and Catherine Pooler icing on the cake (I have never seen these inks). Your card is amazing.
Thanks for your lovely comment. I never win, but there are some moments during the year that luck seems notice me LOL :D and I'm so happy as I haven't a very big stash.
Hugs, have a lovely week!

crafty-stamper said...

Love the beautiful Song Thrush and no you don't see them very much at all sadly.Fabulous leafy background.
Carol x

KraftyKoolKat said...

What a gorgeous background Hilary, just perfect setting for your lovely Song Thrush.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Loll said...

Your bird is beautiful, Hilary ... especially on top of the gelli print. Great work!! Working with gelli plate is something I struggle with. You have done an amazing job with this background. I love the mix of colours and the wonderful, visual texture on the first layer of your background. It's awesome. xx

GerJanne said...

I don't have a gelliplate, but the results I see by everyone who has are marvelous! Your card with the beautiful bird is lovely!

Cat Craig said...

Your bird looks perfectly happy in his gorgeous environment.

Bonnie said...

I am so impressed with your gel plate background, Hilary! I find it difficult to get a good print with ink. Yours is gorgeous and I love that sweet bird!

Christine Alexander said...

Absolutely gorgeous gelli plate print, so perfect for your Thrush. That was a lucky find in a magazine ♥

papierelle said...

It looks like the bird is sitting in a bush, I really like it!!

Leslie Miller said...

I have more bird stamps than anything. I'm not an expert at coloring them, but I'm drawn to them. Add the leafy background, and I'm in card heaven. I have read carefully about your gelli print process but it still blows me away how you were able to achieve such a beautiful background as a gelli print. I've never seen anything quite like it. Well done, Hilary!

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely creative and awesome post.. A wonderful design with a great background and a perfect sentiment as well!

kiwimeskreations said...

A wonderful image and so beautifully used over that stunning background Hilary. The end result is one stunning card
Blessings
Maxine

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Your song thrush looks very at home in it fab background that you have created. Brilliant Michelle

Ashwini Rao said...

What a spectacular card! I am absolutely in love with that gorgeous background!! Its just perfect for a simple focal image like the Song Thrush you have. Very well done with this one!

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Wow, love the background - such a lovely card.
Lorraine