Thursday 27 April 2023

Seize The Birthday #260

It's the fourth Thursday in April so time for a new challenge over at Seize The Birthday, where I am delighted to be surprise party guest. This is my final guest appearance with the brilliant team. I have enjoyed my visit so much. Thank you, everyone at seize the birthday for having me.


I was lucky enough to receive some Gansai Tambi Gem Colours paint for Christmas and have been enjoying using them. I think this is the first card I have shared so far.


I used a stencil and masking to create my bunch of balloons. I just lightly outlined them on black watercolour card and then I painted them with the gem colours. They give a lovely metallic shine, which is hard to show in the photos.


Once the paint was dry I used a dark and light coloured pencil to add dimension. I cut the panel with the die and mounted it onto a piece of gold embossed card. My piece of gold card wasn't big enough to give a border all round so I decided just to have a small side border. and then mount the panel onto the top and side edge of the base card. That is not something I do very often, but I quite like it. I might be brave and do it again sometime! I added gold thread for the strings and secured them with a tiny blue bow. The happy was cut from another snippet of the gold card and the birthday and heart were stamped and heat embossed on another snippet of white card.


I hope you will find time to join us at seize the birthday this time and if you don't fancy the balloon topping any birthday card will do.

I am also sharing this at:
Snippets playground #452 - my snippets are the gold card, white card and blue ribbon



Supplies:
cardstock: Black watercolour paper; gold embossed card; Hunky Dory adorable scorable coated card
Ink: Gansai Tambi gem colours; Polychromos pencils
Stencil: Uniko
Dies: Panel die: Craft Dies by Lisa, tatty layers, lazy daisy panel; Sentiment die: Creative Expressions

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

31 comments:

GerJanne said...

Lovely balloons! And the metallic shine I can imagine, I can see a little of it.

Maria said...

What a lovely card with the gorgeous balloons! Great color against the black background!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Hi Hilary, big congrats for your surprise party guest position! Well deserved! Your card looks just gorgeous, it has a rich and precious feel! I know how metallic paints are hard to show in photos, but yours show so well the muted colours and shine. Love the gold added and the different borders, well done using the snippet creatively!
Hugs

Di said...

What a gorgeous card Hilary - lovely colours - they show up so well against the black background. Those paints are stunning as well.

Hugs
Di xx

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous card. I love the way you have the colorful balloons on the black background and the way you offset the frame and the whole panel on the card. Very creative and unique. So glad to have had you as our "Party Guest" at STB for March & April. Hope to see you in our gallery in the future.

brenda said...

So striking on the black cardstock Hilary and can visualise the shimmer, in parts it gives an almost chalky look which adds contrast.

B x

Loll said...

Beautiful card using your newish :) paints, Hilary! I love the shine of the gem paints, especially on black. The gold bordering on the sides is awesome and I love pretty blue card base. xx

Linby said...

What a wonderful design especially against the black. Love that snippet sweet bow too.

I Card Everyone said...

Gorgeous, Hilary! You've given them such dimension and life - I'm waiting for 'lift off!'
=]

Barbara said...

Thanks so much for being a great Surprise Party Guest at Seize the Birthday Challenge. We loved your creativeness and inspiration. I hope that you keep playing with us in the future. Your card for this challenge dis really talented>

Leslie Miller said...

Goodness gracious, Hilary, this is amazing! It has all that wonderful contrast on the black and it still looks like a party! I shied away from black in the past, but in the last couple years I've fallen for it. I like how you did your border. It worked out great. Stencils are a real treasure these days. A fabulously artful card!

Cat Craig said...

Congrats on being the surprise guest. Its been great seeing your design. I am loving these balloons on the black, so very elegant.

Christine Alexander said...

your balloons look amazing, well done with the paints they really pop against the black♥

Bonnie said...

Beautiful, shimmery balloons that really pop on the black! Love the offside layout! I've enjoyed your inspiration at Seize the Birthday!

Anonymous said...

You have been such an inspiration and amazing Special Party Guest! Yourcard is another masterpiece. The shimmer is fantastic! Thank you for all your amazing cards at STB!

aussie aNNie said...

Oh wow.. this is amazing! Love the wonderful colours! Gorgeous design ♥

nancy littrell said...

OMG..your gorgeous gem watercolor paints balloons card will be treasured, Hilary. Love your design with the black background, gold accents and string. I sure have enjoyed all your beautiful birthday cards...congratulations on being the Surprise Guest, my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Nancy said...

Hilary, Your balloons look fabulous and your gold threads were the icing on the cake. Earlier this year I purchased some of those paints and have been chicken to give them a try. I have enjoyed having you on the team immensely! Please take care and keep in touch! HUGS!

Sarn said...

A great result on top of black card. Striking effect.

Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground. Once you’ve finished playing on the swings, meet me and Di up in the Treehouse for a nice cup of tea! xxx

Ina G said...

Wow Hilary this is gorgeous and colours so intense. Simply stunning.

KraftyKoolKat said...

Fantastic balloons Hilary, love the lovely finish on them.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Vicki Dutcher said...

Your balloons look amazing on the black! Well done. Thanks for playing with us the last few weeks

Ashwini Rao said...

This is so embarrassing! I thought I had commented, just to discover that I hadn't!! So sorry!! :(
First, thank you so much for being such a fabulous guest designer for us! I absolutely loved having you with us!
Second, your card is just so gorgeous!! The metallic shine on the balloons looks absolutely fabulous and I love the gold peeking from behind those little holes. And how did you ever manage to add all those little strings on all the balloons - those little bows look perfect! Wow! Absolutely amazing card, Hilary!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your balloon bouquet on black, Hilary - stunning!!

JulieP said...

Wow!!! The shine, those bows....amazing, amazing card. Thanks so much for playing along with us these past months! We've loved having you.

Claire said...

The colours look wonderful against the black and I love the gold strings with those perfect bows! It all ties together perfectly (excuse the pun!)

Cathy said...

The gem colours look amazing against the black Hilary, bet it is so shimmery in real life! Thankyou for being a wonderful guest this last month, it's been great seeing your cards for inspiration, Cathy x

My Paper Epiphany said...

Fantastic shimmery balloons and they look great on the black card!

Linda said...

Hillary, a very striking card with the shimmery balloons on the black cardstock. It has been so nice having you as our Guest the last few weeks.

Glenda J said...

We were so thrilled to have you! Thanks for all of your amazing creations. This is no exception. This is amazing - love the effect of paints on the black paper. Thanks for explaining how you did it because I would have no idea (I've never used paints like this).
Thanks again and happy crafting.

shirley-bee said...

Gorgeous card, Hilary! I love Gansai Tambi paints, and you’ve done a fabulous job with them. Thanks for being our surprise party guest these last weeks.