Saturday 10 June 2023

Birthdays at Allsorts

It's Saturday morning so it must be time for a new challenge at Allsorts and today I am delighted to be joining the lovely DT for this weeks challenge, which is all about birthdays.

This card is going to a very special lady who celebrates her 90th birthday later this month. She really is quite incredible, she lives alone and is still driving. 

I have used a technique demonstrated by the group of seven cardmakers in April. Every month I see what they have made and intend to join in their linky, and every month I run out of time. At least I have made a card using the technique from April which was alcohol inks on gelli plate.


I used a small round gelli plate and 3 different AI colours (can't remember which now). I pulled the print and then traced round the edge of the print with a fine pen before masking the edges and stamping the image. I really like this stamp, it is by Impression Obsession.

I die cut the panel, numbers and sentiment from some dark brown card, mounted the panel on the same card and then attached the panel to a coated coloured card base. It was finished with a few sequins.


At first I thought this was a bit dull and not terribly cheery, but I actually really like it and I hope Pat does too.


Oh, I almost forgot, I splattered it with some bronze mixative so it has a little shine. I am terrified of splatters as I always think I am going to mess things up. Although these are very fine, I was quite pleased with them.

What do you think?

I hope you will find time to join the Allsorts team this week. Everybody makes birthday cards so you need a good excuse not to.

We have finally been getting some sunshine in my neck of the woods. If you look closely at the photo you can see me enjoying a moment in the shade. I always have a big hat on when I am outside. My husband takes good photos and surprised me with this one. He has made the garden look lovely. You can see some of my succulent pots, and my rambling roses are in bud. They will be in full flower in a couple of weeks. I hope so anyway, as they are desperate for some rain.


Thanks for visiting.

Supplies:
cardstock:  Strathmore Bristol Smooth; Hunkydory adorable scorable coated card
Ink: Catherine Pooler over coffee; Alcohol inks and bronze mixative
Stamps: Impression Obsession F16352
Dies: Numbers, Docrafts; Words, Concord & 9th; Frame, Lisa Horton

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 

26 comments:

Liz said...

Lovely to see you as a Guest Designer on the Allsorts Challenge this week, Hilary. Your card is a wonderful design and I’m sure Pat will be thrilled to receive it on her special birthday. TFS the photo of your garden, it looks amazing! xx

Viv said...

Lovely make Hilary!
Lovely garden too - if the forecast is anything to go by your wish for rain may be here this afternoon! (or at least it is where we are - and boy do my poor plants need it!) x

crafty-stamper said...

Congrats on your GDT Hilary,beautiful card and love the background you created and the stamps-wow a very special birthday-90Yrs. Your garden looks beautiful and today is the first day for a while that we have sun and no cold wind
Carol x

Brenda in IN said...

I'm so glad you tried this technique and it is gorgeous. This has been my favorite way to do alcohol inks and your results are just beautiful. I like the bronze splatters. Your garden is stunning. It is a showplace of beauty and calm.

Ellibelle said...

Such a beautiful card Hilary, I am sure Pat is going to love it! And your garden looks amazing! It would be really hard to do any work inside if I'd be surrounded by such beauty outside! Glad you had some sunshine to enjoy it!
Thanks so much for being our guest designer this week!!

Loll said...

So happy you tried out the AIs on gelli plate, Hilary. Your card is beautiful. It's like the sun is shining on your flower garden. LOVE the colours and beautiful stamping over top. The outlining of the shape looks fabulous! Your friend Pat is going to love her birthday card!!

Your gard is AMAZING. What a beautiful and peaceful place to sit and enjoy nature. WOW! xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A well done on your GDT position Hilary, I love this card, and I'm sure the lady concerned will too, it has a lot of atmosphere, great stamp too. You have a beautiful garden. A great photo too. We have had the first rain since the beginning of May this afternoon, not that it's been enough for the good old soak the garden needs.
Faith x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A wonderful birthday card for this special celebration and lovely to have you with us as guest designer at Allsorts too.
What a pretty garden you have, so many gorgeous flowering plants, looks very idyllic.
Lorraine

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Hi Hilary, it's a so beautiful card, great effect with the alcohol inks and those warm colours! The meadow stamp is so sweet. I bought a round gel plate time ago, but I had a bad surprise because it was not the circle, but the outside of the circle! A gel leftover LOL :D I have to take it out, however, surely I can make something with it, even if it isn't what I wished.
I'm sure that the special 90 lady will love your card. Congrats on your GD!
You have a fabulous garden and your hubby made an amazing shot to you too!
Have a lovely weekend!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous bday card, Hilary - love the personalization with the #s too! Congrats on being a guest designer at Allsorts! Stunning garden photo too - I always envy you your lovely garden!

brenda said...

Rather belatedly to thank you so much for being our Allsorts Guest designer this week and making such a lovely card to help inspire our entrants.

B x

brenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brenda said...

Rather belatedly to thank you so much for being our Guest Designer at Allsorts and making a beautiful card to help inspire our entrants.

B x

kiwimeskreations said...

That is one gorgeous card Hilary - love the gorgeous fine splatters, and your AI print is beautiful. The brown flowers over it are perfect, as the the other brown accents.
Your garden looks an beautiful spot, and yes, I did spot you :)
Blessings
Maxine

Cat Craig said...

You've spurred me on,,,I've been wanting to try that technique...now just to find my inks. I've reorganized since I used them last. Lol.

YOur card is beautiful all the colors work together exceedingly well.

Carole said...

Lovely card for your 90 year friend. I am sure she will love it. Nice garden too...my garden too is crying out for rain..we Brits are never happy are we?..lol

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary! I know there is a beautiful card here but I am entranced by your gorgeous garden! What a wonderful place to enjoy a good book or just turn your mind off and ears up- the bees must love it, too!
This is exactly what I imagine when I hear the term English Garden, my friend - and I see your succulents are blooming! Astonishing!
=]
ps your friend will love your gorgeous golden card!

Linby said...

Thanks for being our GDT with this beautiful card. Such an inspirational lady too at 90. Your garden looks so pretty.

Bonnie said...

You got a great background using this technique, Hilary! It's prefect to make this sunny scene! Love your garden and you look so relaxed sitting in the shade!

Mervi said...

Fabulous card for big birthdays, my mother is having her 90th bd in couple of weeks, hope so!
Lovely garden photo and you are really enjoying the moment! I have to use hat always too. It's promised to be a very hot week in here, so lots of watering for the flowers and plants;-))m

Leslie Miller said...

Hilary, your card is so lovely for your friend's birthday. Personalized with the number is a nice touch. I like the effect of tracing around the gel image. Once I saw your garden it was hard for me to think about anything else. It's so gorgeous and peaceful, and a perfect spot for reading. I'm watching the wind blow here. Why, oh, why did we have to settle so close to the bay?

aussie aNNie said...

Gogeous colours and wonderful crafting. x

nancy littrell said...

I Love your beautiful Alcohol Ink circle Gelli print on cardstock background for your stamped flowers, Hilary. I missed the deadline too for this awesome GO7 Alcohol Ink background technique, but now have started adding my cards to challenges. Your choice of colors and outlined gelli print circle is so artsy. TFS my friend.

Thank you also for sharing the wonderful nature filled photo of you by your talented husband:-) Your garden is so peaceful and beautiful. We are so lucky to have husbands that are talented gardeners and photographers and enjoy and protect our environment:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy

baileyrosy.com said...

Congratulations on being a guest designer at Allsorts and with this super wow card it's absolutely beautiful and am sure your friend will adore it. I too am scared of splatters as I like to be in complete control when I make a card but sometimes it's fun to let go. You did a super job and I love the colour on this beauty.BTW your garden looks amazing.

Mazrie

Maria said...

Such a lovely birthday card to celebrate a 90th birthday! And, the photo of your garden is gorgeous!

Lisa said...

Really lovely birthday card for a very special birthday. Love the silhouette flowers.