Tuesday 19 May 2020

Gesso Resist

Hello, 
Today I have a card for CAS Mix Up May challenge which is hosted by Linda. she has asked us to use the gesso resist technique, plus stamping plus your choice. I have never used this technique before and as I have a tiny bottle of clear gesso I had no excuse, so here is my effort:


I used a stencil (not used before) and painted the gesso over it onto a piece of white card. Once the gesso was dry I brushed distress ink all over the panel. I kept to a monotone palette so I could also enter Seize the birthday #190. The sentiment was stamped and heat embossed. I have decided that I really like the effect you get with this technique and must remember to try use it again. As the stencil is NBUS I am also sharing at NBUS #14.


As I only used half the panel, I made another but this time I added contrast.


I also tried out the gesso with a stamp, the effect is quite subtle but still good. I again used a blending brush to apply a slightly darker shade of orange, and this time I used a complementary colour for the card base and sentiment.


Here is a close up



       

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it. 
Hilary 
xx

13 comments:

brenda said...

That's made for a really elegant CAS card Hilary, will confess I had no idea you could get clear Gesso.

B x

Cat Craig said...

ohhh I love the looks you achieved with this technique Hilary.

Barbara said...

I am new to Geso, but I have seen lots of video and cards made with it. I sure love the look that you got on this card. Thanks for sharing it with us at Seize the Birthday Challenge.
Barbara DT

Bonnie said...

Looks like you had a good time with this technique, Hilary! Great results too!

KandA said...

Two fabulous cards, lovely colouring and a super technique with the gesso xx

papierelle said...

I also like the technology and the effect is great, but I don't have a gesso at home. So I have to postpone trying it out until a later date.

I Card Everyone said...

Hilary they are all three really lovely … seeing your tiny bottle of Gesso, I remembered I had some! I sure hope I find the gumption to try it! lol
=]

Mia said...

It seems a great technique, Hilary. I think I will try it soon. I love both your cards, my friend. Kisses!

Jo said...

What a subtle and beautiful gesso panel. Love that black matting and stamping, really makes that artsy panel pop. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

Loll said...

Great work with gesso Hilary! Three beautiful cards! Very elegant with the monochromatic card ... that yellow is so soothing. And then the contrast with the black strips bordering your gesso'd panel ... LOVE it! The soft and subtle sponging over your stamped gesso with contrasting colour of card baseis so pretty. Great job on all cards, my friend! xx

Mac Mable said...

Great technique and fabulous cards. The tonal effect looks so pretty Hilary and thank you for sharing the two different techniques x.

Susan Joyce said...

The tone on tone is lovely Hilary, three beautiful cards!

Linda said...

Beautiful cards ..... tone on tone always look fab. Glad you enjoyed the gesso resist technique. Thank you for playing along with the CAS Mix Up challenge xx