Monday 4 May 2020

May CAS Stencil Challenge

Hello,
Last week was hard for me, but now we are in a new week, a new month and have a new challenge to get you motivated. How are you doing?

Anyway, down to business, this is my first time hosting a challenge, so I do hope you will join me and my fellow design team members for our  May CAS Stencil Challenge. The theme this month is layered stencilling and you can find links to a few helpful videos demonstrating the technique on the challenge blog. You can make some amazing effects just by layering stencils on top of each other.


We are really lucky to have Greta as our guest designer this month. Do check out her wonderful cards.

For my card I started by taking an A4 sheet of hot pressed water colour paper and ended up with this:


I really enjoyed making this. I started by inking several different stencils randomly over the paper, then I used brusho paints to add colour. When that was dry I used texture paste with a Funky Fossil stencil (the round shapes) and a Kaisercraft crackle stencil that Loll gave me. I coloured the paste blue before I used it and just filled in the gaps. You just keep going until you are happy with what you have created. To give the panel a nice finish and to seal it, I gave it a coat of mod podge gloss.

The next stage was the hard bit - trying to work out how to use my panel to create a CAS card! It took a while, but here is what I came up with:


I used a stitched square die to cut the shape, mounted it on blue card and heat embossed the hello several times in blue embossing powder.

If you look carefully you can see some of the stencils used.

I actually made 4 cards and 2 tags from this A4 sheet. Here are the other cards:






Do let me know what you think and I hope I have inspired you to join us here, I shall look forward to seeing all your creations in the gallery and visiting you for a closer look.

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today, I really appreciate it.


26 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Wow, what fabulously funky cards you've created, Jo x

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Stunning textured layer after layer of stenciling A4 watercolor paper, Hilary. I love how you created your beautiful CAS card design. All your colors coordinated beautifully too. Then you so generously shared with us all 4 of your beautiful cards made from the same stencil layered background. Thank you so much for sharing and hosting, my friend. Have a wonderful creative month..Hugs..Nancy

nancy littrell said...

P.S. Your choice of stencils and colors were Awesome too...Hugs.

Barb Ghig said...

You did an amazing job layering your stencils to create your pattern, Hilary! I love that you were able to create so many cards and a tag, too...great way to get the most from a technique! Thanks so much for this really fun challenge ~ Barb xx

Marianne said...

Such a fun way to have a play and then use your large piece to create several beautiful CAS cards. Love all the colours and texture. Hopefully, I'll be able to play along this month. I actually did (try to) join last month, but the linky party ended several hours earlier than normal.
Marianne x

I Card Everyone said...

Wowzers, Hilary!! You created an out of this world multi-stenciled panel - I didn't realize how big it was! Just look at all of the wonderful cards you made with it!! Psychedelic and so fun, with those die cut words!
=]

Bonnie said...

What an amazing piece, Hilary! I don't know that I could have cut into it, LOL! You have lots of amazing cards from this. I think I was thinking too small with this technique. You've given me a whole new view of this technique!

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous selection of cards and tags Hillary. I loved your initial background, it would have been so hard to cut that up. You reminded me to pull one of my stencils out:)

Papercraft Boutique said...

Wow, what an amazing stencil layered background and a wonderful collection of cards you made out of it!
I can really see the stencils you layered in the close-up and they are so cool!
The light blue trim and the die-cut sentiment perfectly complement the fabulous centerpiece!
Hideko xx

Loll said...

WOw! Great layering of many stencils Hilary! I love your artistic panel! Gorgeous colours and mix of stencils and mediums. AWESOME! And even better that you were able to get four fabulous cards from the one panel. Great work! And such a fun challenge ... thank you Hilary! xx

brenda said...

Sounds like you had real fun creating your masterboard Hilary and what super depth of colour you achieved.

B x

Viv said...

A brilliant array of cards Hilary! The panel is so detailed and a gorgeous mix of stencils and ink - brilliant!

Cat Craig said...

Stunning cards Hilary...such depth on your stencil portions. The look 3D as if you could fall into them. Awesome.

GerJanne said...

This is awesome! What a beautiful stencil and your cards are stunning!

sandie said...

wow what a way to make so many CAS cards. I love the layering of the stencils and oh how creative to make so many cards-adore them x

Julia Aston said...

Oh my, that Funky Fossil stencil is so awesome! Love that dimensional curvy look it has - wonderful mix of colors and other stencils for your panel Hilary and what a lovely let of cards you created using it - this is a really fun stencil challenge! xx

papierelle said...

Today you blow me away !!!! It's so great and so impressive. When I look at the picture for a longer time, I have the impression that I am being pulled into it.
But your cards that are made from it are also stunningly beautiful. My favorite is the second one because that's the best way to see the technology.

Linda said...

WOW! What a great idea to do a large sheet of card like that, the stenciling looks amazing, so dimensional. You've created a stunning set of cards there! xx

Darnell said...

Hilary, you went out on a creative limb and just soared with this layered stencil background! I can't get enough of all the wonderful colors and bits! And I LOVE all four of the cards you were able to design from it! Genius really!! Take care and keep on keeping safe! I hope I get a chance to give this a go!! Hugs, Darnell

Diane said...

Fabulous stencil backgrounds on your card designs.

Hugs diane

Brenda in IN said...

I am in awe of these cards. That Funky Fossil stencil makes it so dimensional like it's coming right at me. All the colors are a beautiful blend together and every card is unique. A fun challenge and your cards are great!

Mac Mable said...

Wow Hilary ....Your masterboard is amazing and you sure looked like you had so much fun. I love your CAS card and the little square really does show off the fabulous stencilling and colours x. All of your cards are unique, artsy and mixed media heaven....I love them! x.

KandA said...

Wow, your stencilled piece is stunning and you've used it to creative some really amazing cards xx

Cathy said...

Wow! What an amazing panel, I would have framed it Hilary, it's stunning! The mix of colours, stencils and mediums is gorgeous and you've created 4 stunning cards to boot! Cathy x

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Greta said...

Well--I'm speachless, Hilary! What an artistic panel you made which worked to make 4 wonderful cards! I adore the CAS one & the last one is super cool! Thanks for your kind words about my work. So honored to GD with all you talented ladies!